Thread: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'ErrorLog'.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'ErrorLog'.

Hi, all

recently, I use the following script(somebody else) to create a database on a remote server: the script is as follow:
    /*************************/
    CREATE DATABASE [ErrorLog]
    GO

Use ErrorLog

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Errors] (
    [ID] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
    [SessionID] [char] (12) NULL ,
    [RequestMethod] [char] (5) NULL ,
    [ServerPort] [char] (5) NULL ,
    [HTTPS] [char] (3) NULL ,
    [LocalAddr] [char] (15) NULL ,
    [HostAddress] [char] (15) NULL ,
    [UserAgent] [varchar] (255) NULL ,
    [URL] [varchar] (400) NULL ,
    [CustomerRefID] [varchar] (20) NULL ,
    [FormData] [varchar] (2000),
    [AllHTTP] [varchar] (2000),
    [ErrASPCode] [char] (10) NULL ,
    [ErrNumber] [char] (11) NULL ,
    [ErrSource] [varchar] (255) NULL ,
    [ErrCategory] [varchar] (50) NULL ,
    [ErrFile] [varchar] (255) NULL ,
    [ErrLine] [int] NULL ,
    [ErrColumn] [int] NULL,
    [ErrDescription] [varchar] (1000) NULL ,
    [ErrAspDescription] [varchar] (1000) NULL ,
    [InsertDate] [datetime] NOT NULL
    ) ON [PRIMARY]

--Create the user "ErrorLog"

if not exists (select * from master.dbo.syslogins where loginname = N'ErrorLog')
    BEGIN
    declare @logindb nvarchar(132), @loginlang nvarchar(132) select @logindb = N'Navigator', @loginlang = N'us_english'
    if @logindb is null or not exists (select * from master.dbo.sysdatabases where name = @logindb)
    select @logindb = N'master'
    if @loginlang is null or (not exists (select * from master.dbo.syslanguages where name = @loginlang) and @loginlang <> N'us_english')
    select @loginlang = @@language
    exec sp_addlogin N'ErrorLog', 'secret', @logindb, @loginlang
    END
    GO

if not exists (select * from dbo.sysusers where name = N'ErrorLog' and uid < 16382)
    EXEC sp_grantdbaccess N'ErrorLog', N'ErrorLog'
    GO

Grant select, insert On Errors to ErrorLog
    /***************************/
    in my *.asp program, I used the following string to connect to the database on the remote server.
    /********
    con.open "dsn=ErrorLog;uid=ErrorLog;pwd=secret;"
    ********/
    the following message comes up:
    /********/
    Error Type:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E4D)
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'ErrorLog'.
    /*********/
    what is the problem here?
    when I set up dsn ErrorLOG, I used "abc" userID and password "XXX" which is our server database administrator assigned to me. I tested connection in odbc, it is OK
    I just don't get, ther user ErrorLog already had login id and granted access to database errorlog. any clue, please help!
    Betty

Hi,all
    After I changed the connection string
    to use the remote server loggin id and password, it works fine, but I just don't get it. Would somebody explain that to me?

Thanks
    Betty

I think it's because id/pwd conflict between dsn setting and your connection string.

The userID and password assigned by our server administrator is for another database. I thought since I created the database errorLog and addlogin for errorlog and set password for this user, then definitely I can use this user to connect to remote user. But it doesn't work!
    You are right, when I set up DSN, I did use userID and password our administrator assigned to me in order to connect to ErrorLog database. I just don't get it, why I cannot use UserID errorlog to connect to my database ErrorLog since I already created this user in this database, any explaination?
    Thanks
    Betty

Should be able to. Try create another dsn with sql id errorlog and connect to sql using that new dsn.

No, I cannot. I did it before and I did it again. I guess the userID and password my administrator assigned to me is for access the sql server, with that password, I can access any database on that sql server. Without that userID and password and only with UserID and password to ErrorLog database. It won't work just because of I don't have the key to the door and even I have the key to open the drawer. It just doesn't work. I am not sure if I am right.
    Betty

By the way, do you have permission to create sql logins? Did you assign proper permission to user errorlog in db errorlog? Seems the login is not created properly.