Thread: Modelling tool

Modelling tool

Just want to know your comments about modelling tools you are using.

I want to learn the tools and downloaded the trial version of Computer Associates's AllFusion Erwin Data Modeller.

I used Rational Rose, MS Visio and ERWIN, ERWIN was the best.
    Enjoy to learn it =)

I used Sybase PowerDesigner 7.5 for a long time, it served me well.

recently tried out the latest versions 10.0 and 11.0 trial, but haven't really worked long enough with it to have an honest opinion whether it has real added value to the version I used.
    AFAIK, the later versions had XML and UML modelling added to it. the Datamodelling functionality wasn't really changed.

Does the PowerDesigner only work with SyBase ?

Me, i tried DBDesigner (it is en freeware) and visio, there are two good products. Visio is able to do retroconception with a database.

Sorry for my english

juvamine

Hi, juvamine.
    Can i try to disagree? Visio has a retroconception, but it's not a complete retroconception (you mean reverse, yeah?), i tryed that with hudge Oracle Database with big structure and noticed some bugs in reverse. And when u want to convert database structure from one type(fexp oracle ) to other type (fexp mssql) only structure aka table structure,datatypes,relations and data integrity, - using ERWin you'll get much less problems (bugs and warnings) than Visio.

in fact i tried retrconception with access and sql server, i didn't have probleme with relation,types, etc..
    but i don't have try with Oracle...

With an Oracle database i use, Oracle Software Designer ^^

++
    juvamine

Yeah! Microsoft likes to make an compatible products, Access+Mssql+Visio is very good sequence, but actually i've searched the universal tool for modeling, and ERWin was the best in that criteria.

as i said earlier, I've used PowerDesigner for quite some time now, and to great satisfaction. It lets you model a DB for all major dbms'ses, not only sybase.

a question regarding posts above: is see the term 'retroconception' a lot. is that the same as 'reverse engineering', i.e. reading an existing DB in the modeling tool which will draw the model out for you?
    If it's not, what does 'retroconception' mean exactly?

thanx
    R@mon

Yes a retroconception, is when you do your work as reverse.
    With a database you create the model
    It can be used when you do a documentation for example..

bye
    juva
    ----------
    sorry for my english