Thread: Exploring FILLFACTOR - Thomas Moore Way

Exploring FILLFACTOR - Thomas Moore Way

Hello Everybody,

I was going through Thomas Moore's book on MS-SQL 2000. In one of the excercise questions on Indexes, here's a Q what he has come up with:

Q5: You have 50,000 records in a database file, and you know you want to add another 25,000 records in the next month. What FILLFACTOR should you specify to maximize performance? It should be mentioned that a new index is to be created and that you will change your FILLFACTOR; you also want fast INPUT into the tables.

0 (default setting)

A5: D. You know exactly how many new records are coming in. 25,000 is 50% of 50,000, so filling the page by 50% and leaving 50% free space for the remaining 50,000 records seems logical. For more details, see the section "Exploring FILLFACTOR."
    I feel the answer should strictly be 66. And as per his requirement of 50K + 25K new records, total # records should equal 75K. FILLFACTOR for 50 can be considered as next candidate, but it's not an accurate answer.
    -OR-
    He failed to explain the scenario properly in his opening line of Q5 - which is more likely, as per other text from his book.

Any body interested in commenting?

It depends on how often you are re-indexing your tables. (Weekly Monthly?)

Why would that depend? .. if we know there are fixed number of records!

a. Are you going to import 25K rows on one go? In that case, I would drop the index, import that rows and re-create the index.

b. Are these rows are being inserted in between many rows [ Like PK=5 getting inserted between pk=4 and pk=6] or are they going to be appended?

c.If you are going to import one thousand rows a day then I would reindex the table often. You have to consider how many rows can be there in a page and in what sequence the insert happens.

d. Also how many non-clustered index are there in that table etc....

I have FedEx'd your questions to the author - Thomas Moore. I hope that's allowed in the cert. exam too.

lol.