Thread: Data upgrade

Data upgrade

I just received a new Laptop with SQL Server 2000 installed. I have the old database file (SQL 7) name.mdf and name.ldf and I could attach them using the "Attach Database" option (Right Click: All Tasks - Attach Database). During an attempt to open the tables I receive an Error 946: Cannot open database 'name' version 524. Upgrade the database to the latest version.

Is there a simple way to upgrade the SQL Server 7 database to SQL Server 2000? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Can you open other tables in the db? Can you query the table in query analyzer? What's compatibility level of the db?

SQL Serv 7 data upgrade to SQL Serv 2000

I can open the Northwind database that comes with SQL 2000 however I cannot open any of the tables in the SQL 7 database that I am trying to upgrade to 2000.

I can open the SQL Query Analyzer but the database that I am trying to upgrade is not displayed in the database combo box in the tool bar, nor can I find it using the object search.

Please keep in mind that I have migrated to SQL Server from Access and I consider myself at a junior level of experience. I am not clear on what you mean by “compatibility level,” I know that they are incompatible the data is SQL 7 format and I am trying to import the database into SQL 2000?

Try backup db in sql7 then restore it in sql2k to see if works.

Attach may have failed because of the database name. Try enclosing the name within [] in sp_attach_db command.

sp_attach_db

The 'Attach Database' function with in the SQL Server Enterprise Manager did not function. It created an association to my database but did not upgrade.

Using the query analyzer and the stored procedure sp_attach_db I was able to attach the database and upgrade at the same time. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.