Thread: Error Message -- is db going corrupt?

Darek Guest

Error Message -- is db going corrupt?

Although backups and integrity checks show that there is nothing wrong with one of my databases, when I did a "dbcc checkalloc" to one of my databases, amidst all of the information (it was successful as well) was the following message:

Msg 2540, Level 16, State 1
    Allocation Discrepancy: Page is allocated but not linked; check the following pages and ids: allocation pg#=40960 extent id=41208 logical pg#=41208 object id on extent=8 (object name = syslogs) indid on extent=0

How do I fix this?

Thanks

Brett Montgomery Guest

Error Message -- is db going corrupt? (reply)

Darek,
    Was the database in Single user when the error message was received? I have seen this a lot where a user still has a connection, a lock on something, and it just reports that there might be a problem. Make sure that you run maintenance in Single user mode. IF the error is still there, then read the info about dbcc fixal. IF it is not, I would say that it is not a problem with the DB, it is just because you did not get single user status before the maintenance was run.
    Good Luck

------------
    Darek at 8/6/99 10:21:26 AM

Although backups and integrity checks show that there is nothing wrong with one of my databases, when I did a "dbcc checkalloc" to one of my databases, amidst all of the information (it was successful as well) was the following message:

Msg 2540, Level 16, State 1
    Allocation Discrepancy: Page is allocated but not linked; check the following pages and ids: allocation pg#=40960 extent id=41208 logical pg#=41208 object id on extent=8 (object name = syslogs) indid on extent=0

How do I fix this?

Thanks

Darek Guest

Well, the db was not in Single User mode when I ran this... however, after your post I put it into single user mode and still got the same message.

However, I am going to watch this today since I know that a number of people may have had connections to this database today via Citrix and maybe they are in some way still lingering...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
    Darek

------------
    Brett Montgomery at 8/6/99 10:26:28 AM

Darek,
    Was the database in Single user when the error message was received? I have seen this a lot where a user still has a connection, a lock on something, and it just reports that there might be a problem. Make sure that you run maintenance in Single user mode. IF the error is still there, then read the info about dbcc fixal. IF it is not, I would say that it is not a problem with the DB, it is just because you did not get single user status before the maintenance was run.
    Good Luck

Ray Miao Guest

You can fix this with 'DBCC fix_al'.

------------
    Darek at 8/6/99 10:55:40 AM

Well, the db was not in Single User mode when I ran this... however, after your post I put it into single user mode and still got the same message.

However, I am going to watch this today since I know that a number of people may have had connections to this database today via Citrix and maybe they are in some way still lingering...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
    Darek

------------
    Brett Montgomery at 8/6/99 10:26:28 AM

Darek,
    Good Luck

Darek Guest

Well, my panic is over... I did what I should have done in the first place... I searched MS Knowledge Base for "Allocation Discrepancy" and found out that this is not unusual when the database is between 2 checkpoints...

Thanks for the responses.