Thread: Changing Chart Types with Parameters

Question Changing Chart Types with Parameters

Can I change the chart type with the value supplied in the Report Parameters ? Other than chart types everything else have expression field attached to them.
    Please Help !

Viraj

Several ways. For example, apply the expression to a chart report / subreport that rests atop another report (a la dashboard) - I've made charts that are context sensitive to list / other reports in this way - and which pass params from drilldown of the list to make the chart "follow" the context, change "types," (you're actually showing another report entirely), etc.

There are many other ways, such as creating a couple of instances of a given parameterized chart report - with an RS event / object for each "view" (link or button activated, for example) calling the respective report type; also, creating the different "versions" of the same report, once again, but publishing both, then passing params through a link / URL arrangement. Yet another approach: use MSAS Actions to link to the views, one for each view, and target the Action in RS.

I plan to publish an article on this soon, along with other "switch view" stuff, like switching axes with a button in an OLAP report. It would be too involved to address any of the procedures in a forum entry, due to sheer number of steps, etc.

Hope this helps! Stay tuned...

Bill

Suite 102
    Atlanta, GA 30308

404.872.5972 Office
    888.570.8628 24 / 7 Messaging
    404.873.3128 FAX

wep3@islandtechnologies.com

wep3@reporting-services-architect.com

www.islandtechnologies.com

www.reporting-services.com

Could you provide an example of how you would implement your first option.