Thread: order problem?

order problem?

Hi all,
    part of my project requirement is allow use search by year. but the problem is part of data that are year column is none, How can I deal with this part of data.? I meant I use what symbol to let these part of data is search able??
    thank you
    ________
    R60/2
    Last edited by sql; 03-06-2011 at 01:35 AM.

What do you mean by none? Is it Null or empty?

In what type of field is the year stored (int, varchar, etc.)?

If they're searching by year, why do you need records with no year information to be searchable? Logic dictates that these records would not be returned.

waiting your response to Rawhide but if the 'none' you mention is an empty field, which is a NULL column in most databases. you might try allowing a search:
    WHERE year IS NULL.

also would be helpful for you to supply the database being used.

Hi all,
    Thank you for the reply, lot of records some miss year(but useful) , so I put none in those cells. part of my project requirement is allow use search data by years in different order. Sounds strasnge, users are not the people who input data in excel My job is organage the data and move them into database and let it search able online. dataType is varchar.
    thank you and Happy new year.
    ________
    BEIJING-BENZ DAIMLERCHRYSLER AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY
    Last edited by sql; 03-06-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Your column should be an int (integer) column for this type of data. If there is no year available for a record, then leave it null.