Thread: sql mail ?

sql mail ?

Is there a way to send and email from a job failur without using sql mail an having outlook installed on a machine?

You can use smtp mail from http://sqldev.net/xp/xpsmtp.htm, but have to add that step in your sql job.

Great this looks good, but one thing all my clients are remote and we dont have access to anything but our sql servers so how do I use smtp servers? Dont i need to know one on there network?
    thanks

Yes, you have to ensure your client has smtp mail server and get mail address of that server.

ahhh shit, they will never give me that info. They are all financial institutions so thats out, i'm lucky i have access to my server let alone them giving me the smtp servers name. No way to scan for it huh?

How do you scan that? It's something like xxx.company_name.com.

Just ask your network admin for that info.

usually something like smtp.companyname.com
    mail.companyname.com

The problem i have is these are not my network admins i'm dealing with These are all remote clients with there own IT departments. I have to jump through hoops just to get into the sql servers let a lone get them to give me that information.

:P Oh well got to love having 250 remote servers and limited control blah!

Your client should provide necessary info to make things work.

Yeah thats what I say. But who am I? The clients decide what they want and get it you know how it is. Plus these guys are all from Wall Street and huge hedge funds etc... We are lucky we have a login let alone smtp server names. They are real azz's when it comes to security.

I Don't blame them.

You can send sensitive information from the database directly to you or somebody you know using SMTP and SQLMail.

That too you are external.

you have to request the client to buy software like HP openview/sysedge agents which basically scans a files constantly for a string and send emails to the configured notification list.

You can write job failures, system failures, all alerts to that file with a string.

By this way it is more secured and you get notified too.