Thread: Using Star Schema

Using Star Schema

Hi,

I have tried the following out and would appreciate feedback from experienced users regarding if the following is a good/bad approach:

After bring all the data in my Data Mart, I have created a view which has all the data in a big flat table (totally unnormalized). Then based on this BIG FLAT UNNORMALIZED VIEW I have created my various dimensions using the 1st option i.e. Star Schema.

Based on the little testing that I have done, I seem to be getting the correct results across various dimensions... However, can someone kindly comment on this approach and the pros/cons.

Thanks
    Last edited by joozh; 12-27-2004 at 02:03 AM.

Not a Great Idea ...

Keep in mind that a view still carries the inherent cost of the SQL lying under it - every time you process the cube. There are other optimization costs, as well.

What you're doing is really no different than graphically designing the cube based upon a relational schema, if I understand your description of the steps you've taken. "Anything that works" might be fine as an experiment, to gain a feel for how the application can be used across a host of database designs and schemas, possibly even as an exercise in a "basics" book, etc., but the same concepts apply within the star schema vs. OLTP optimization arguments.

Hope this isn't destined for Production in any way ...

Bill

William E. Pearson III
    Island Technologies Inc.
    931 Monroe Drive
    Suite 102
    Atlanta, GA 30308

404.872.5972 Office
    888.570.8628 24 / 7 Messaging
    404.873.3128 FAX

wep3@msas-architect.com
    www.msas-architect.com

Ofcourse I will not put this in Production environment

Thanks for the reply Bill.

Star Schema Modeling Technique

You could download a book on Star Schema from this link here:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...7138.html?Open

Thanks. I'll look at that sometime. I appreciate deeply your contribution - we certainly all need to understand stars! I have an extra Sears catalog that I'd love to send you, as a token of gratitude for the information you have shared. It has multiple uses ...

B*