Thread: Simple Question - Creating Calculated Member for %

Simple Question - Creating Calculated Member for %

Hi,

As the users drill down one of the dimensions, I want to show the breakup of each sub member in terms of %age e.g.

Suppose total Sales are 300 and breakup is as follows:
    Category A = $ 120
    Category B = $ 65
    Category C = $ 115

I want that when the user drills down to the 2nd level in the Products dimension (let's say this Level is called Category) then I want the %age of Sales for each category - all adding up to 100

So this is what I should get (for the desired % breakup)

Category A = 40
    Category B = 22
    Category C = 38

I'll appreciate your help in making such a Calculated field.

Many TIA.

You could start with something like

[Measures].[Some measure] / Sum ( [Category].CurrentMember.Parent, [Measures].[Some measure])

[Measures].[Some measure] / Sum ( [Category].CurrentMember.Parent, [Measures].[Some measure])

Thanks.

In the MDX, is "[Category]" a reserved word are you you using it in a generic manner.... i have seen similar examples but am unable to make use of these examples becuase all seemsto have used the "[Category]" ....

Category is the name of your dimension (the one you are drilling down on)

Thanks Stephen. Will post back after trying this out.

Not sure how it went, as I didn't see the postback on results. Thought I might offer an article that does this as one of the examples (it's a basic contibution percentage calculated member) - in a way that might help you to gain a more complete picture.

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...0894_2211921_1

Let us know if this helps. It benefits everyone if forum items are pronounced "satisfied," as this is the only way anyone (searching on the keywords for a solution, etc.) knows if a suggestion someone made was helpful ...

Bill

Bill Pearson

Island Technologies Inc.
    931 Monroe Drive
    Suite 102-321
    Atlanta, GA 30308

wep3@islandtechnologies.com

I did give Stephen's suggestiona try but ran into some confusions andthenthings got busy and I did not get to come back to it.

However it's at the back of my mind and I totally see and agree with your point regarding posting back andhow it can help other members.

I guess I have gotten into too many new things related to this BI/cube stuff and am finding it a little difficult to manage and absorb at the moment. I just hope that thisis normal n natural and it's not just me

Regards.