Thread: Connecting to a Cube using Excel?

Connecting to a Cube using Excel?

Hi

I have Excel 2003 and need a little guidance regarding how to make a connection to my cube.

I tried the Pivot Wizard but do not see any option which allows me to connect to my cube.

Kindly assist. Many TIA.

Thanks

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Thanks, Skitter! Couldn't have put it better myself!

Bill

Hi,

This applies to my other recent replies as well:

Guys for a while now I will not be able to post back my finding becuase I have just discovered tons of useful links to articles at the following URL:
    http://www.databasejournal.com/article.php/1459531

It appears that this WILL keep me quite busy.

I have just cursorily gone through one of the articles (the 1st one about MDX) and after I have absorbed that...I will have another 25+19 = 44 more to go

Bill, I like your writing style...

Regards.

Do you read the documentation before "winging it" with stuff like this?

Do you read the documentation before "winging it" with stuff like this?
    Not sure if I understand your comments but if you are referring to reading BOL before posting any question then the answer is YES. BUT unfortunately I do not find BOL easy to follow and that is why I end up posting questions so that folks can help further.

I was referring, in this case, to the Excel 2003 documentation, since that is the application you wish to use. BOL is necessarily limited in its exploration of client applications - for obvious reasons ...

Alternative sources of info are often as easy as a Google search. When I'm trying to build a new skill, I like to review all I can about the skill in a syntopic manner. That is, to find as many references as possible and select a few to read - and understand - as a rudimentary basis. The exposure to different perspectives reinforces learning, in that it embeds memory triggers and creates "multidimensional" associations that translate to real world capabilities, particularly when this learning is again reinforced with hands-on exposure.

The BOL is a great quickie, but you'll need to seriously expand your scope - and take advantage of the wealth of information out there, including blogs -if you really want to become fluent with any specific processes and procedures. Once you have a basis, remaining questions are probably excellent material for forums. Many of us "in the field" thoroughly enjoy answering questions of that nature, but you will find that open-ended, "tell me all about ..." questions will often not be answered, due to the immense time involved.

Please understand that I am offering you some valuable "consulting" here ... Few successful practitioners are going to have the time or inclination to act as "scribe," in a role whereby they are transposing existing documentation. As I stated in the OLAP reporting discussion we had in the DBJ Reporting Services forum, my focus is to create documents that deal with subject matter that, at least at time of writing, is not well documented, and is useful to those who are searching for specific techniques, as well as new ideas.

So forgive me if I tend to be a little more selective going forward. I'll certainly continue to take on "specific" questions, as time is available ... We're in this together, after all.

Have a great day!

Bill

Appreciate your advice and yes I do see your point.

I generally do try to post specific questions ( at least to the best of my abilities) and understand that it would be absurd to post questions to the like of "tell me all about". Nevertheless I may have been guilty of this on one or two occasions and will certainly try best not to post such questions...

You know when starting out on any "learning TRIP", once tends to gather as much tips, clues, directions, that he/she can. In my opinion it's these little clues that really get you going and in a truly magical manner at times add amazing amount of clarity to something that you have recently read about or have come across but are not sure about the next details... Maybe you've been there too many years back?

I have been able to make progress in the last many months only becuase of these wonderful tips, directions, and clues and basically that's what I am generally requesting when I post a question. YOu know what, sometimes these come in the form of a one liner reply from someone with only a URL in the reply but trust me that even this is of great help.

Once again I sincerely appreciate your advice, see your point, and will definitely try to improve the quality of my posts.

Regards.

It's certainly not an issue of quality - more one of "quantity." Again, I'm always game for "specifics."

Good Night. And Thanks.

Bill