Thread: Tricky Question about using Calculated Member in AS

Tricky Question about using Calculated Member in AS

Hi,

I am really stuck here and need some help.

The scenario is that I have a dimension called Product... each product is given points and this is defined in the underlying product table.

The table on which my fact is based has a field called QtySold (which is the qty sold for the product). WhatI want is to somehow use Calculated Member (if that is the right solution) so that for any selected product, the user get's to see a calculated field called, say' Points earned, which will be QtySold multiplied by the points for that product.

Hoping that my question is clear, can someone please help me find a solution.

Billions of thanks in advance.

Use the "Calculated Member Builder" dialog box to add the CM to an existing cube or virtual cube.

Otherwise, to make it part of the create cube statement, the create member statement would look like:

CREATE MEMBER [Cube Name].[Dimension Name].[Points Earned]
    AS '[Dimension Name].[QtySold] * [Dimension Name].[Product Points]'

Hmmmm ???

Thanks for the reply. Can yo kindly guid me to a good URL or a book which I can use to get very confortable with MDX?

I'll appreciate your help. Many thanks.

Lookup "Create Member" in your Books Online (BOL). It's installed with your SQL Server client tools.