Thread: MS SQL 2000: restore using transaction log

MS SQL 2000: restore using transaction log

I have a SQL database which was corrupted from a hardware crash.

The system was not properly backed up (figures!).

I sent the MDF files to a data recovery expert, and the data was recovered up until the last "proper" backup was made -- Feb. of this year.

However, the transaction log from the database is NOT (so far as I can tell) corrupted.

How can I import the inforrmation from the transaction log into the database?

I found a few "how-to" documents, including this one: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321836

but this document only demonstrates how to restore the database from transaction log BACKUPS; the transaction log I have is not a backup.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Step 1 in that article is to create a backup of the log. Do that and you will have a backup.

It will not allow me to back it up.

I have the log file which was transferred from the dead server. When I created the database for import of recovered data (from the data recovery service), a log file was created (by default).

SQL will not let me select the file to backup, as it is not "attached" by association with any existing database.

I don't know for a fact that this will work, but you can try it. Replace the new database's log file with the old one.

1. Create a full backup of the db & existing log file so you can recover if this doesn't work.

2. Detach the database.

3. Rename the current log file to something else.

4. Rename the old file to the current log files correct name.

5. Re-attach the database.

6. Backup the log file.

7. Try to restore the backed up log file.