Thread: SQL Server not found when Named Pipes Net-Lib selected

Jeff Fairlie Guest

SQL Server not found when Named Pipes Net-Lib selected

We had a crash of SQL server this week, everything came up fine, with the exception, SQL EM would no longer connect to SQL Server via named Pipes Library. SQL Server [DB-Library] Not found or Server does not exist.

Client Applications are able access the DB, ISQL /w acesses and runs SP's fine
    DBCC CHECKDB returned no errors. I have to Reporting funtions that utilze Crystal Reports to connect to the DB. I am unable to do that n=now. This really is causing major problems. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have already tryed Client Config. and adding the TCP/IP in the Advanced Tab wih Named pipes identified as "." and "(local)" [without quotes]. this did not work either.

If I have a corrupt Dll, can I reload it, or do I need to reload SQL Server, and rebuild databases from Datadumps?

Ray Miao Guest

SQL Server not found when Named Pipes Net-Lib selected (reply)

Does the ID you used to login client pc have access to the server (that means is the id in any local group on the server)? You have to pass nt authentication first with Named pipes.

------------
    Jeff Fairlie at 8/7/99 11:51:12 AM

We had a crash of SQL server this week, everything came up fine, with the exception, SQL EM would no longer connect to SQL Server via named Pipes Library. SQL Server [DB-Library] Not found or Server does not exist.

DBCC CHECKDB returned no errors. I have to Reporting funtions that utilze Crystal Reports to connect to the DB. I am unable to do that n=now. This really is causing major problems. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have already tryed Client Config. and adding the TCP/IP in the Advanced Tab wih Named pipes identified as "." and "(local)" [without quotes]. this did not work either.

If I have a corrupt Dll, can I reload it, or do I need to reload SQL Server, and rebuild databases from Datadumps?

Jeff Guest

Ray, the problem I am having does not einvolve the Clients at all. I am able to register the SQL server in SQL EM as TCP/IP Sockets an run fine that way. The problem I am having is I need to Register the Server with SQL EM as Named Pipes to access the Server from Crystal Reports and a VB app that Schedules our Crystal Reports. Everything was working fine until about 3:30pm Thurs when the database started getting overuse, and it caused some form of a crash.

My Hope is that someone can assist me in re-registering the SQL 6.50 Server with SQL EM under Named Pipes, so that Business can continue as usual.

I have Major reporting issuses when Both Crystal Reports (by itself) and the VB app that schedule Crystal bot give me SQL Server Not Found. If I attempt to Register the Server under Named pipes, I get "SQL Server [DB-LIBRARY] not found, SQL server not found or does not exist."

I can register under TCP/IP Sockets and it registers fine.

------------
    Ray Miao at 8/9/99 8:18:07 AM

Does the ID you used to login client pc have access to the server (that means is the id in any local group on the server)? You have to pass nt authentication first with Named pipes.

------------

Ray Miao Guest

The questions are: what's the id you use to logon to your crystal report pc? Does this id have nt level permission on your sql server? Is crystal report pc in the same domain as sql server? Any one changed password?

------------
    Jeff at 8/9/99 9:33:16 AM

Ray, the problem I am having does not einvolve the Clients at all. I am able to register the SQL server in SQL EM as TCP/IP Sockets an run fine that way. The problem I am having is I need to Register the Server with SQL EM as Named Pipes to access the Server from Crystal Reports and a VB app that Schedules our Crystal Reports. Everything was working fine until about 3:30pm Thurs when the database started getting overuse, and it caused some form of a crash.

My Hope is that someone can assist me in re-registering the SQL 6.50 Server with SQL EM under Named Pipes, so that Business can continue as usual.

I have Major reporting issuses when Both Crystal Reports (by itself) and the VB app that schedule Crystal bot give me SQL Server Not Found. If I attempt to Register the Server under Named pipes, I get "SQL Server [DB-LIBRARY] not found, SQL server not found or does not exist."

------------

------------

Jeff Guest

The NT logins have not changed, they are on Same Domain. NT security is used. nothing has changed here.

I am NOT able to Register the SERVER 6.5 on the NT box running SQL server - under Named Pipes. I am able to register it under TCP/IP Sockets. The problem appears to be the inability to access the db-library at the server level. All clients using TCP/IP can access DB just fine.

NOTE: I am not able to Force the Server to connect to SQL server (on same machine) using (local) or . to force Named pipe connection.

Keep getting the following error:

"Unable to connect to Server (reason: [DB-LIBRARY] Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. (Specified SQL Server not found)."

I can change the library over to TCP/IP Sockets, and register server without any problems. I am not able to under Named pipes. This is all being attempted Locally on Server.
    ------------
    Ray Miao at 8/9/99 11:25:09 AM

The questions are: what's the id you use to logon to your crystal report pc? Does this id have nt level permission on your sql server? Is crystal report pc in the same domain as sql server? Any one changed password?

------------

------------

------------

Ray Miao Guest

Then, what I'll check is if the pipe is broken or the dll file for named pipe is crashed. Check register 'local_machinesoftwaremicrosoftmssqlservermssq lserverlistenon' to make sure \.pipesqlquery is there. Even can create a new pipe like '\.pipesql1query' to test it (you should use client config -> advanced to add connection string '\.pipesql1query', too). If this doesn't work, I'll copy dll file from good source.

------------
    Jeff at 8/9/99 11:43:40 AM

The NT logins have not changed, they are on Same Domain. NT security is used. nothing has changed here.

I am NOT able to Register the SERVER 6.5 on the NT box running SQL server - under Named Pipes. I am able to register it under TCP/IP Sockets. The problem appears to be the inability to access the db-library at the server level. All clients using TCP/IP can access DB just fine.

NOTE: I am not able to Force the Server to connect to SQL server (on same machine) using (local) or . to force Named pipe connection.

"Unable to connect to Server (reason: [DB-LIBRARY] Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. (Specified SQL Server not found)."

I can change the library over to TCP/IP Sockets, and register server without any problems. I am not able to under Named pipes. This is all being attempted Locally on Server.
    ------------

------------

------------

------------

Jeff Guest

Ray: we have a RESOLUTION to this quagmire.

I did check all of your last items Registry is correct, but the pipe must have been broken, even though it was listed there.
    I checked MS site again and entered one more of the error #'s. this time I got a suggestion to enable IPX/SPX. This concerned me at first, since we are not running Novell. I tried it anyway. Start/SQL Setup chose Named Pipes, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX and then d:mssqlinn and chose windbver.exe i made sure that Net-Lib was Named Pipes. I was then able to Register the SQL Server under Named Pipes.

The other issue I addressed about Crystal Reports, and the Report Scheduler, using Crystal, we had to upgrade MDAC & DCON95. Both Downloads from MS site.

anywhay, all is working now, and I appreciate you assistance.

------------
    Ray Miao at 8/9/99 12:38:55 PM

Then, what I'll check is if the pipe is broken or the dll file for named pipe is crashed. Check register 'local_machinesoftwaremicrosoftmssqlservermssq lserverlistenon' to make sure \.pipesqlquery is there. Even can create a new pipe like '\.pipesql1query' to test it (you should use client config -> advanced to add connection string '\.pipesql1query', too). If this doesn't work, I'll copy dll file from good source.

------------
    Jeff at 8/9/99 11:43:40 AM

------------

------------

------------

------------