Thread: Your Input on Hardware, OS, SQL and Memory

Question Your Input on Hardware, OS, SQL and Memory

I was given the following minimum hardware specs for a server: Dual Intel Processors, 8 gigs RAM, 120 Gigs of Storage, 100 mb ethernet.

I will be purchasing, installing, and running a SQL Server w/ 52 users.

I heard rumors about SQL Server Standard only recognizing 2 gigs of RAM... I am getting quotes form 3 different vendors... but they are all sales guys... How about some professional NON-SALES input:

So my Q's would be... any recommendations on a configuration for Hardware (Processors, SCSI, Memory, Raid level...) and Software (SQL Standard or Enterprise, MS Server 2003 Enterprise OS)...

Thank you for ANY input!!

PS - I'm no rich guy... so please remember that cost needs to be in the equation as well.

If you are getting sql server enterprise edition for 52 users.... software licensing is

a. roughly $6500 + (52 * $146) CAL license or $20,000 for one processor (this is for enterprise edition) You can have multiple processors.
    People get processir license when it is connected externally like internet and number of users are more.

b. Capacity planning can be done only of certain questions are answered.

1. nature of application
    2. how many connections
    3. how many transations
    4. how critical the appliation is.. and what king of availablity you need. (cluster or warm standby or contingency)
    5. Harddisk types and raid level or SAN depends on the requirements.
    6. Size of the database
    7. Growth of the database
    8. Budget.
    9. your Service level agreement with the business user.

you are right standard edition can handle 2 GB. enterprise can handle more.

What is your budget?

There will be 75 machines connected to the server running a proprietary package installed on each machine. This server will be added as a member of an existing SBS Domain.

The proprietary package is an inventory control system with 300,000 items and 500,000 customer records. SQL Server is accessed with a Mertek Driver (a low level not really ODBC driver is how it was explained to me.)

I won't know SQL transactions until it is in and I can monitor it.

As far as RAID type, I thought that there were only certain levels that were best for the performance of SQL.

Disk space is not that costly so I was thinking along the lines of 146.8GB Ultra SCSI that I can either mirror or stripe.

A decent contingency plan and a 5 day a week 4 hour response service plan (service is not part of the budget but a seperate line item) is my goal.

And finally... budget is about $40k

2 servers pitched by salesmen

Any thoughts on these two servers?

One vendor is pitching the IBM x235 server... and the other is pitching the
    HP Proliant ML570 G2...

The one vendor says that the IBM Dual XEON 3.2 Processors, 8 Gig of Kingston
    RAM, and two 146.8 gig disks Raid 0 will do just fine...

But the other vendor says that the HP Dual XEON 2.7 GHz Processors, (4
    processor capable server) with 2 meg cache, 8 gig of HP RAM, (2) 36 gig
    drives for the OS Raid 0, and (5) 72.8 gig Raid 0+1 disks will blow the IBM
    out of the water with performance.

The only difference I saw in redundancy is that the HP has a hot pluggable
    redundant cooling fan.

Difference in price is only a few thousand... Is it worth it... and are the statement(s) true?????

Your input is GREATLY appreciated.