Thread: Error 8198.

Error 8198.

Every SQL job fails that's associated with an NT account we setup called 'SQLServices'. It's been in production and working fine for the past year.

The account is used by MSSQLSERVER and SQLAgent services. They work fine. I can successfully login to a server or database with the login but anytime we run a job it receives the message: "Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'SENTARA\SQLServices'."

Further research revealed that it was issuing a State 25 which means: "An error occurred when the SQL Server engine queried the Windows operating system to retrieve information about a Windows account name."

My systems people are suggesting that we drop the NT login then re-add it. Anybody got a better solution?

Sidney Ives
    Database Administrator
    Sentara Healthcare.

Seems sql server has difficulty to talk to domain controller, try reboot sql server first.

I've rebooted the server. I dropped the login from SQL then readded. Problem still persists.

check alert logs to see if you can find any additional information. By default located at
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\LOG\SQLAGENT.OUT

refer to this kb article to see if it helps
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=233161

I know 'SQLServices' did work in the past but just in case try to create a new account and use it to startup mssql and agent services and see if it fixes.

Problem solved. The account was added to another NT group yesterday afternoon by one of our Security Administrators.

The System Engineers backed out that change and everything started working fine. It turned out that there was an issue with the NT group.

Life has now returned to normal.

Thanks for everyones help.

Sidney Ives
    Database Administrator
    Sentara Healthcare

error 8198

I have to exact same problem after they migrated my SQL Server from an NT Domain to AD. Now whenever I try to kick off a job via the SQL Server scheduler Agent where an Active Directory (AD) Domain account is the owner, it fails with the '8198' error "The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (domain\username) of job testjob has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'domain\username'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 8198)" . When I switch ownership back to the old NT Domain, it works fine!!! help!

Checked above link for info?

error 8198

Thanks. Looks like something I may need to get out Server Guys to look at.

Lightbulb Alternate Solution

I had the same issue with the domain account not being able to run the SQL Server agent jobs that were created using this domain account.

So, I changed the properties of each job to be run under local Administrator account, using which I installed and configured the SQL server.

Hope this works if you haven't come across this solution.