Thread: HTML + Access databases

HTML + Access databases

Hello everyone,

I have a question that has probably been answered a million different times, but I need some help. I'm designing a website. Well I guess you can't call it a website because its only a series of html pages all thrown on a shared drive for employee's to be able to access. However, here at the company we have multiple access databases we use daily, and one of the objectives is to be able to access any of those databases from this series of webpages. I thought this would be easy, but when I made the link to them, i was prompted with the box asking if i wanted to download them. I guess my question is how do I do this, we dont want to download them every time, nor do we want to have a dozen shortcuts on our desktop. Im stumped. I hope everyone can understand that.

Thanks,
    Btex59

hey man, what are those db like? do they have a visual interface for entering data? or are they just some tables? do they have formes?

do you know what asp or php is? do you use it here?

please answer those question so I can help you.

Regards,
    Adrian Korsuas

The databases are pretty extensive. They do have visual interfaces...they are used alot with entering data and files. I'm familar with asp and php, however Ive never done any programming with them. I was under the assumption that they all dealt with a server..and in my case i dont have a server to play with..so im not sure..but i am will to learn the a different language...im always up to that challenge

Thanks for the help!
    Brent

yes they do have forms and tables. Actually they are made up of many different of each...hope that helps

sorry for the bad grammar...i guess that happens when your in a hurry

well, let's see.

if you use asp, php or whatever server side scripting language, you actually have to rewrite the forms that the user uses to enter data. I KNOW you don't wanna do that.

so, a quick fix, is to make the dbs open without the open dialog. right?

what you have to do is this:
    1. go to explorer, not ie explorer.
    2. go to tools/folder options/file types
    3. go to mdb:Microsoft Access Application
    4. click on advanced
    5. select to Open action
    6. uncheck the confirm open after download

Now it should work fine. If it doesn't, tell me what's wrong, cause I've tested it and it's ok.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
    Adrian Korsuas

I forgot smtg.

Is this site run internally? I mean in a closed network? This will not work on the internet!

There is however another hack that you have to do. I'll investigate and tell you.

But please reply.

Rgds,
    Adrian Korsuas

Ok, forget what I have told you before. This is how it is supposed to be done.

MDB extention is black-listed, so there is no easy way to open without a dialog

Now, you can rename the dbs to lets say
    filename.mdbIE

We will create the registry entry that will handle this extention.

Goto to http://www.websamba.com/ExpertSecurity/mdbstuff1.JPG
    and see what you have to do.

Do EXACTLY as it is done there. Take special care at red highlighted stuff.

So this is A solution, but to the consequence that you have to remane the dbs. That's not pretty, and if they are connected, you may have problems. But than also be overcome.

So go on, try it.

Adrian Korsuas

korsuas,

I will have to try this over the weekend on my laptop, becuase my company wont let me search that website, however this site is ran internally. It will not be on the internet. The webpages are just thrown in a folder on a shared drive. I'm trying to convince them to let me start a server..but thats pretty rough to get through people that think they know everything about computers...

thanks for the help!
    Brent

well, thing will be fine
    IF they let you rename the dbs (thats no problem, cause theyre still going to be able to double click on it)
    IF the db anre NOT interconnected

Your welcome,
    Adrian Korsuas