Thread: Paging and Page Faults

Buddy Ackerman Guest

Paging and Page Faults

I can never seem to get rid of page faults on my server. My server has 2 GB of RAM and I have 1.5GB dedicated to SQL Server. The machine is a dedicated DB server and even during periods of no activity at all performance monitor shows about 70 page faults/sec while there are zero pages/sec. I see this on every server and it's really driving me crazy. Why/how does it do this? It doesn't make any sense that there are page faults when it's not even paging.

--Buddy

crazyjoe Guest

Paging and Page Faults (reply)

This is normal, you will always see it steady at around 70, with an occasional bounce to over 100. If it starts hitting really high numbers consistently, then you have a memory problem.

Also, watch what happens when you reduce the update interval on Perf monitor...you'l see that the # of page faults go down. Wierd, huh?

------------
    Buddy Ackerman at 8/25/00 8:06:03 AM

I can never seem to get rid of page faults on my server. My server has 2 GB of RAM and I have 1.5GB dedicated to SQL Server. The machine is a dedicated DB server and even during periods of no activity at all performance monitor shows about 70 page faults/sec while there are zero pages/sec. I see this on every server and it's really driving me crazy. Why/how does it do this? It doesn't make any sense that there are page faults when it's not even paging.

--Buddy