Thread: Error message in SQL log

Andrea Hook Guest

Error message in SQL log

Hi,

We are currently using SQL Server 6.5 and I noticed an error in the event viewer which I had not seen before. When I investigated further in the SQL Error Log I found this;

Error: 17824, Severity: 10, State: 0
    Unable to write to ListenOn connection '\.pipesqlquery', loginname 'sa', hostname 'NT01095'
    OS Error: 232, The pipe is being closed

Error: 1608, Severity: 21, State: 2
    A network error was encountered while sending results to the front end.

Can someone please just explain what this means?

Hope you can help.

Andrea

Brad Whitmire Guest

Error message in SQL log (reply)

I too receive this error message on occasion. I have written it off to either a network error that ended the piped connection or the user dumped out of the application hard. The error has so far never been reason for concern.

------------
    Andrea Hook at 7/8/99 8:39:16 AM

Hi,

We are currently using SQL Server 6.5 and I noticed an error in the event viewer which I had not seen before. When I investigated further in the SQL Error Log I found this;

Unable to write to ListenOn connection '\.pipesqlquery', loginname 'sa', hostname 'NT01095'

Hope you can help.

Andrea

Craig Guest

It can also mean that a client rebooted their box, and when SQL server attempted to send the information to the client, that it was not available.

------------
    Brad Whitmire at 7/8/99 9:29:58 AM

I too receive this error message on occasion. I have written it off to either a network error that ended the piped connection or the user dumped out of the application hard. The error has so far never been reason for concern.

------------

Hi,

Hope you can help.

Andrea

Ray Miao Guest

It also happens when sql server lacks of open pipes or sockets. In this case, you can increase number of pipes or sockets to fix the problem.

------------
    Craig at 7/8/99 3:34:41 PM

It can also mean that a client rebooted their box, and when SQL server attempted to send the information to the client, that it was not available.

------------

------------

Hi,

Hope you can help.

Andrea

Brett Montgomery Guest

Ray, can you give me some more detail on this? How would you go about increasing the number of pipes or sockets?

------------
    Ray Miao at 7/9/99 8:29:37 AM

It also happens when sql server lacks of open pipes or sockets. In this case, you can increase number of pipes or sockets to fix the problem.

------------
    Craig at 7/8/99 3:34:41 PM

------------

------------

Hi,

Hope you can help.

Andrea