Thread: MS SQL Vs Interbase

Question MS SQL Vs Interbase

Hello,

I currently administrate a database for a training provider/college.

We've been running on Interbase for about 2 years and the size of the database has obviously grown over time.

I've just had a conversation with our suppliers and they seem to think that our database is too large to run on Interbase anymore. The database is
    currently 375meg and grows everyday.

We're going to have to think about changing from interbase in the not too distant future or start Archiving. Would you recommend we stay with interbase and have two separate databases or change to Microsoft SQL Server?

Look forward to hearing your views.

Thanks in advance

I'll go for sql server if the app supports it.

The size of your database shouldn't have anything to do with the performance. Our application currently only runs on Interbase with clients pushing 2GB databases and they are running quite well. What version of Interbase are you running? I would recommend at least 6.5 but 7.1 is the latest.

How often do you perform backup and restores... this should be done once a month. Depending on your version there are certain things you can do to tune your interbase. I would recommend reading Borlands Operations Guide to start with, it's quite informative.