Thread: SQL restore problem

SQL restore problem

I have attempted to restore a Db from backup but get the 3242 error each time, the backup has been done to disk over a network and the restore server is a different one to the one the backup was taken from - both are
    running the same version of SQL (7) and have the same service packs applied. I have other servers on the network and can successfully restore from their
    backups - using the same server to restore to - I have now come to the end of things to try - do you have any
    ideas??

The backup device does not contain data in Microsoft Tape Format due to one of the following situations:

1. The contents of the backup set were not generated by SQL Server version 7.0 or later.

2. The contents of the backup set have been damaged.

Thanks for that - That's what Microsoft say!! The backup was created by SQL 7 in exactly the same way as the other - restorable backups were created all settings etc on the server seem to be the same as the other servers. I've tried backing up several times and using the new backup files to restore to the test server so I can't see all of them being damaged!????

Try copy the file on to target server then restore from there.

I've already tried that - I'm sure it must be someting with the server that is backing up as all the others seem fine, but like I say all settings are the same - maybe apart from the all important one I'm missing!

Checked db's compatibility level?

??????????

Tried again this morning - restored ok