Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tornado - Parameter Passing to other ASPX files

Angry

Frank/John

The answer to all this is "No, you can't use Session or Application Variables if you installed the IE Security Patch MS01-055. Obviously, you did not install that patch.

Anyway, I found the answer on the MS Knowledge Base. What you need to do is path the URL (from .dbMenuData and .dbMenuParams) using the IP address of the server, not it's server name. If you or anyone else is interested in the why's of the this, visit the MS Knowledge Base and read what it says...

It's taken us 3+ days to figure this out, which in development time is very expensive and painful. And, this question begs to be answered, "hasn't anyone else run into this problem?"

Frank,

Your solution for the tab login is not a solution we can use. The users will need to login then logout just to move to another tab. Is there a way to shut off the logout button. Atleast if we had that option things would be straight forward, for the users.

Also, is there a way to logout using ASP.NET such as formsauthentication.signout ?.

Paul

I updated my server with auto updates and it is up to date. That means, all critical updates are loaded. SV and application Vars works fine. Look at this MS01-055 article ->

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;316112

It says, if you install this patch then all the Session and Application variables will be gone, all asp, aspx and the whole framework will tank!!!

The reason for this patch seems to compensate the incorrect naming of the cookie/server names.

That looks like an MS screw up to me as this patch they issued destroyed their entire Web Application framework (no SV and Cookies). Sometimes, When you created a bug, you have to call it a "feature" to get away with it. If everybody install this patch then, our phone or all web application developer's support line will ring off the hook.

I do not have time to look in to the tab/login but I'll give you a patch tha you can hide the button and ssee how it works.

Frank

I tested the last maintest, test1, test2 files and I cannot duplicate the problem in having to logon/logoff to get to the other applications in the other tabs once logged in. Better check your SV as if you lost them then you are not login.

FK

Frank,

Nevermind, we found a workaround for our problem. The login is now working, along with passing our session variables. We had to point the URL's to our IP address so when it loaded the aspx files it could still find them in the same directory. This was yet another workaround because there is a small problem with the tabbed menu feature.

The 'FirstPage' will allow you to just indicate the filename of the file you are pointing to (Firstpage=test.aspx)... but the Menudata for the actual tabbed menus will not let us do it when we use the same type of syntax. This seemed a little strange, because we thought that these two things would share the same properties.

So we just used the whole url with our IP address in the beginning of it, and it seems to be working now. We don't know what problems this will cause when we put this on the web, but we will soon find out (hopefully they won't be too major).

Our session variables were getting lost because the tabbed menu would open a new session for each tabbed page. The URLs for each tab were the cause of this.

Thanks for your help on this-

JM

Add this line to all the test files at the top and check the session ID. They should be the same ->

Response.write("<P>" & Session.SessionID & "<P>")

It is better to specify the full URL of the links to avoid unexpected "defaults" imposed by Tornado.

My goal is to make the feature as perfect as can be. So, describe the problem in more details when you have time and I'll look at it.

Frank

Yea we already used that to help us diagnose the issue before. All is well with this problem now. All session variables are functioning properly.

Thnx
    JM