Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SQL2K Bind Failed

Question SQL2K Bind Failed

I tried to install SQL Server 2K on a W2K server running IIS and SSL. The SQL installation failed until I deleted the certs from my system. Now, the SQL logs say "SuperSocket Info: Bind failed on TCP port 1433". I have tried everything on the MS KB, TechNet, and MSDN sites that I could find. I have also uninstalled IIS and Certificate Services from the server. Since there are no certs left, I suspect that SQL Server is getting in it's own way on startup. Does anyone know of a way to trap/log this kind of conflict?

Is the port used by other process?

Arrow

No. I have changed the port several times with the same result. Active Ports utility shows no connection on the port either.

Is the ip address correct?

Arrow

I assume so. It's a multi-homed DC and all of the IP's are int the "listening on" list. How would I check it?

1. Try to use different port number and apply SQL Server SP3a again.

2. restart the machine

3. Then try to change the port to 1433.

Red face

OK. Changed port to 2400, reinstalled SP3, rebooted the box, changed to 1433 - TCP bind still failing. Reinstalled Certificate Services (to run certutil), no certs - still failing. Help!

You could try typing 'netstat -a' from a DOS prompt with SQL stopped and see if anything is listening on this port. If it is start turning off services till it is not mentioned in a 'netstat -a'. Then that is the offending service.

thanks, i checked it out again, but no such luck. i'm pretty sure it's something sql-ish. i also tried a Network Monitor capture, but, funny thing - I got 1 frame (UDP NETBIOS) from stopping/starting sql svr and from what i can tell, it looks fine...???

Another possibility, this is a problem I had when installing MSDE on a machine where SQL server had been installed then removed. There was some client connectivity stuff in the registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer which prevented it installing. I renamed it out the way (as zMSSQLSERVER) and then it installed and started OK.

Arrow

i appreciate the suggestion. i tried that, also. i have also tried using a named instance to work around that same issue, have changed the installation drive and program/data files folders, cleaned up the Device Manager hidden drivers, etc. the files are on a striped volume instead of my C: drive - is there something i am missing there? interesting note - if i configure the server network utility to use a dynamic port (0), the bind fails on the first attempt, but is successful when sql server selects a new port!!!...???

Question

UPDATE!!!
    After re-re-re-installing, I finally have a named instance that works somewhat, but...is this strange: "SQL server listening on TCP, TCP, Shared Memory." ? (It's SQL Server 2000 on a dual-homed W2K DC.)
    I have two "listening on" records on different ports for every IP. Also, the SQL Sever application is running on the first port using the correct IP and port # and IP 0.0.0.0 is on the second (different) port using the same PID. They only work together if I permit SQL Svr to assign the port(s) dynamically. Otherwise, if I assign it a static port, I get the "TCP Bind failed" error again. Any ideas?

Check sql server network utility to see what's properties for tcp/ip netlib. You can correct mess there.

Arrow

hi. thanks for the help. the only enabled protocol is TCP/IP and the port is the correct dynamically-assigned port for the SQL Server application. the network library entries look like the usual ones. I don't have an interface to get to the other port. NOTE: when i terminated the connection for the 0.0.0.0 IP address on the second port, the entire process was terminated. ???

dj_also another possibility. When SQL Server starts up it attempt to bind to the address of localhost which is
    normally 127.0.0.1. and
    the real interface address. It probably works out this address by resolving localhost in the c:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file which should resolve to 127.0.0.1. If this file was missing or damaged and the name could not be resolved, it might try and bind to 0.0.0.0. What does it say in Management>SQL Server Logs?