Thread: 6.5 replicating through 7.0 distribution database?????

Susan Guest

6.5 replicating through 7.0 distribution database?????

We have a SQL6.5 server (a) that replication tables from 3 separate databases
    to 30 other SQL6.5 servers (b) and in turn they replicate back 3 tables
    to the same (a) SQL 6.5 server.

We are planning on upgrading to 7.0, but until that happens the SQL6.5 server (a) is very unstable.

I was thinking of putting a SQL7.0 distribution box smack in the middle
    to handle all the replication jobs.

So it would the SQL6.5 (a) goes through SQL7.0 (distribution- c) to SQL6.5 (b).
    The SQL6.5 (b) would then go through SQL7.0 (distribution2 - c) back to SQL6.5 (a)

I believe I did this back in another position a year or so ago, but just wanted to make sure that the 6.5 replication could handle replicating both ways without any problems.
    Of course I am aware that we will be unable to use some of the features of SQL 7.0 till all the upgrades are complete. My goal is to free up resources
    on the SQL server 6.5 (a).

THanks for any suggestions

Susan

6.5 replicating through 7.0 distribution database????? (reply)

Use the DTS component of SQL7 to do all the pulling and pushing for you perhaps.

------------
    Susan at 3/21/01 4:38:33 PM

We have a SQL6.5 server (a) that replication tables from 3 separate databases
    to 30 other SQL6.5 servers (b) and in turn they replicate back 3 tables
    to the same (a) SQL 6.5 server.

We are planning on upgrading to 7.0, but until that happens the SQL6.5 server (a) is very unstable.

I was thinking of putting a SQL7.0 distribution box smack in the middle
    to handle all the replication jobs.

So it would the SQL6.5 (a) goes through SQL7.0 (distribution- c) to SQL6.5 (b).
    The SQL6.5 (b) would then go through SQL7.0 (distribution2 - c) back to SQL6.5 (a)

I believe I did this back in another position a year or so ago, but just wanted to make sure that the 6.5 replication could handle replicating both ways without any problems.
    Of course I am aware that we will be unable to use some of the features of SQL 7.0 till all the upgrades are complete. My goal is to free up resources
    on the SQL server 6.5 (a).

THanks for any suggestions

Susan