Thread: how to be a good DBA?

Question how to be a good DBA?

I am currently a student in university majored in computer science. I hope I can take DBA as my future career life. I already taken some database courses and build a couple information systems. (I know php, SQL, Apach, Linux, java, c++, c) I am trying to find an internship for I am thinking it will be good for my career life. My question is what kind of job I can take. I mean the job should be good for my career plan. How can I be a DBA? I know it is a kind of silly to ask this kind of questions. But as a green bird in database area, it is not strange to do so. I think you guys can understand me.
    Thanks!!!

You are on the right track..you are thinking!
    Not many individuals actually think about their carrer path.

My advice: Take anything you can find but don't forget your strengths in other fields. With what you have given you might be able to find a developer/dba or admin/dba role also.

Also remember that it doesn't matter what "Role" in a company we have, we are there to solve problems.
    With what little I have gotten about your personality from your post I would venture to say you are a problem solver so don't sell yourself short on what you can provide a company as such. Therefore you might be happier with an analysis, developer, or modeler type role. anyone in these fields with dba experience is invaluable.

good luck.

DBA is purely Skills+experience. And Experience is a slave.

Good DBA? I have to do a little explanation here (real world).

From a development team's perspective Production DBA is always bad.

From a Production team's perspective Development DBA is always stupid.

If I say "I am a SQL Server DBA guru", it means I am lying. Every day I learn new things or remember the things that I forgot or somebody tell me that I was wrong.

Suggestion: Keep your mind open and make mistakes. The more mistakes you make, the more you will know.

But just don't make the same mistake twice

Participating in forums is a great way to learn. You get to learn from others problems.

There are plenty of free newsletters and websites available which are great resources.