Thread: help needed !!

help needed !!

I have produced a form in Access that displays flight details, 1 of the specs is to have an image of a selected plane on the form, I have got different aircraft in a drop-down box and i want an image of the selected plane to be displayed. I am not highly skilled in the use of VBA.
    Any help???
    Colin Bridges

It depends on where you are storing the Aircraft data, if it's in a table as an OLE object type, when you select the Aircraft from the dropdown, you can put a dlookup in the After Update event of the drop down to populate an Object frame.

Linked objects

Access does not do well with embedded OLE objects they consume memory at an alarming rate. Your application would be more efficient if you were to store your photos in a seperate folder.

Attached is a sample file that has an unbound form, during the On Load Event it will search a co-located folder named "Pictures" and update a combo box with the file names. When you initially open the form an error will occur the oleObject is searching for its initial picture. You can change the initial property to your file location and the error will go away.

You must create a folder and name it "Pictures" move the sample pictures to the folder and ensure that it is colocated with the Access.mdb file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ah mate that is superb, I can't thank you enough, my assignment has got to be in next week and I think you have just saved my bacon.

Thanks Alot,

Colin Bridges

I have just implemented the new aircraft image lookup system and it works fine when adding a new record, There is however one problem, when browsing through records the image does not refresh to the pre-selected aircraft type. If there is an easy solution to this i would be delighted to know but if it means a big code change then i could just add this problem to my post design spec.

Thanks Alot,

Colin Bridges

Bound Object

If I understand your dilemma correctly you are attempting to establish a bound object. I have modified the previous access file to enable a bound linked picture with an unbound object. I added two fields (Directory & File Name) with their “Visible” properties set to false. The On Current event will establish the link and create a bound object.
    Attached Files Attached Files