Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tornado-Need two ways Update records

Tornado-Need two ways Update records

Is it possible, using Tornado, to update records in two ways?
    1. by using dbEditGridUpdate=true.
    2. by using the standard update.

Currently, when dbEditGridUpdate=true the update button automatically presents the full screen edit mode. what I need are two buttons, one for full screen edit, another for single record edit. Ideally, the update button on every row should enable single record update and the update button (stand alone) should call the full screen.

How do I accomplish this?

Make two custom buttons one for grid and one for single Edit. When one of them is clicked, detected that in the URL via Request.Querystring. Modify the properties (disable or enable gridedit property).

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the direction on this. The custom button has been programmed, however how do I position the new button within the other navigation button set. In other words, I need to place the custom button next to the Update Button, it seems to default to the first position....

I'll look into the positioning of the custom buttons an dalso the row edit approach.

The rwoedit and gridedit mix is complicated. I think allowing a button insert next to the update button is easier.

Frank

Frank,

I'm unsure how to proceed using the request.querystring function. What string do I test for if the update button is pressed and the custom button as well?

As for custom buttons, you can put anyting like MyBut=Grid or MyBut=Single. Inspectt he querystring and you can extract them using resquest.querystring("MyBut")

But let me look at using an insert tag next to the update button. Itis a lot easier

Frank

I got a good solution w/o any code penalty on my part. I'll allow a new "gridupdate" or "gridadd" button in addition to the regular ones. once that is clicked, the gridedit switch will be set to true. No need to specify dbEditGridUpdate = true. So when yo specify ni=b5,update,gridupdate... both will appear. I'll wait for my web programmer to make the new buttons and then do the final test.

Looks like this one is a pretty cool feature.. hope it works out.

Frank

Looks like it is working. Email me when you are ready to test that.

Frank

Frank,

Your solution sounds excellent and it is a very nice addition to an already excellent product.

Paul

Frank,

My agencys email is currently down so I'll post my findings here. The new dll does work. It included the gridupdate button which called the full screen edit mode. The normal update button is as usual, single record update. This is good.

I did note a problem, the update and gridupdate modes did not allow dropdowns, calendars etc. but the add mode did.

To take this to the final level, it would be nice if the data elements could be selected individually between the two edit modes.

I'll wait to hear from you...

Paul

>>...the data elements could be selected individually between the two edit modes.

explain more about this.

I'll look into the dropdown problem.

FK

I use the following code and drodown works for both normal and grid update. Only "gridUpdate and Normal Update is implemented at this time. Explain more about the problem ->

Dim Mydb As New tornado.z()
    With Mydb
    .dbQP = "U=1|M=Grid!sysindex=true|S=plain|D=Nwind|Q=Orders |TH=Tit=2 Update Styles| gdf=0,1,2,3| ni=b5,update,gridupdate| bm=Orders;0"
    .dbCommonTables = "index=First,FullName|sql=Select Firstname,Firstname & ' ' & Lastname from employees; index=EID|sql=Select Employeeid from employees"
    .dbEditUpdateFlds = "1,fi=2|ty=SB|val=EID|Tex=FullName"
    .ASPdbNET()
    End With

FK

Frank,

I'm still working to get the dropdown fields working. Can you explain the following syntax:

.dbEditUpdateFlds = "1,fi=2|ty=SB|val=EID|Tex=FullName"

I can't find where the 1 in 1,fi=2 is documented.

I'm sure I'll figure this out, however let me explain further my idea of user selected data elements based on gridupdate or update mode.

It would be a nice Tornado feature for the programmer to be able to select independently which fields are to be in gridupdate vs. update. In my case I'd like to only allow certain fields to be updateable if the gridupdate mode is called. Likewise for the update mode.

I see a new function called .dbGridUpdateFlds = fi=2|ty-SB|val=EID|tex=FullName
    and
    .dbEditUpdateFlds = fi=4|ty=textarea|val=memo|tag=col=20

this would allow greater flexability in reducing the screens real estate during full screen edit mode (GridUpdate) as well.

What do ya think?

OH.. You mean you would like to have a different set of Update flds for normal and grid update !!

Frank

Yes!!!!!!