Thread: Corrupt blocks When Backing up (urgent)

Corrupt blocks When Backing up (urgent)

Hi Friends,

I get the following error messgae when I scheduled my backups thsi weekend

ORA-19566 exceeded limit of string corrupt blocks for file string

Could you please tell me what I need to do ? Please get back as soon as possible

Rukmini
    rmadduluri@stantec.com

Identify what tablespace the file belongs to, then run export of this tablespace. If you can export fine, then there may not be any problem. Otherwise you may have to rebuild the tablespace.

I identified the tablespace and also the table that is corrupt by running dbverify. there is one block that is corrupt

I tried to do create xxx as select * from the corrupted table and it fails on the block. I'm trying to run the Dbms_repair package and it fails right in the first procedure when I try to run Admin_tables procedure to create repair_table .

BEGIN
    DBMS_REPAIR.ADMIN_TABLES (
    TABLE_NAME => 'REPAIR_TABLE',
    TABLE_TYPE => dbms_repair.repair_table,
    ACTION => dbms_repair.create_action,
    TABLESPACE => 'USERS');
    END;

I run thsi script and get an error saying that dbms_repair.repair_table should be decalred. I'm trying to skip the corrupt blocks and copy the data. It is a huge tablespace and I do not want to export and reimport.

What did youmean by rebuilding the tablespace

I was too stupid while running the DBMS_REPAIR. I was able to run the fix_corrupt_blocks procedure and now I'm trying to export the tablespace. I'll have to see if it will be sucessful and figure out if we have lost any data.

skhanal,

while resolving this error on one database , the other database also had a corrupt block in a cluster. Should I drop the cluster and recreate it , what will happen to the tables in that cluster if I drop the cluster.

Thanks
    Rukmini

Dropping cluster drops tables inside it.

Thanks I did try that and it worked. When I do an RMAN Restore , isn't it supposed to recover the System01.dbf too. B'se my database is in NoArchiveLog mode, I have to Restore the entire database in Mount state and I did that this morning but at the end I tried to open the database and it complained that "system01.dbf" needs medai recovery. What does that indicate?

Also one of our database is extremely slow since yesterday, there was a corrupt block in one of the table. I dropped the table and recraeted it . Everything seems to be fine but is extremely slow even to run simple sql queries. Should I do an analyze ?

Thanks for all you help.

Did you restore the whole database using RMAN?. With RMAN you can restore database, tablespace or individual files.

After you recreated the table did you recreate all the indexes.

Yes I did restore the whole database using RMAN . I had no other option b'se it is in NOARCHIVELOG mode. I did a full backup and a full restore. I thought RMAN will restore all objects inmcluding indexes, I did not recreate indexes.

I dropped the table and recraeted it
    I thought you recreated it yourself not by RMAN. If you used RMAN to restore the whole db then everything should be in.

Try analyzing the table.

You are right, we are talking about two databases taht had corrupt blocks.

1) on One database I had to do complete restore RMAN

2) on the other I was able to get away with dropping the table and recreating it .

The first one gave me system01.dbf needs media recovery

The second was extremely slow after I reacreated the table. After your reply to my post I went and checked my indexes and noticed that the index on that table was missing. I have now recreated the index and also doing the analyze . It should be okay now. Our developers are testing it and I should know the results in a few minutes.

I appreciate your help and is there any advise from your side on some backup and restore strategies. Should I keep using RMAN to do my backup's or should I do manually backup's . Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Rukmini

I prefer RMAN as you don't have to worry about putting tablespaces in backup mode for hot backup. As a side benefit you get consistency check on database because RMAN does not just copy files it backups only data. This also reduces the backup size.

Thanks Shialesh , I hope I have got your first name right