Thread: obtaining oracle

obtaining oracle

I've just started getting into databases. I'm working with access right now and also sql server 2000. I hear a lot about oracle and I'd like to play around with the product. Can someone here tell me how exactly does one obtain a copy of oracle. Do they have a free versiont thats for download.

Are there any limitations for example can I use it to back a website. I've heard that some of there products are crippled.

these are full featured versions but if you plan to use you should pay

jkoopmann if I ever go to production it will be know problem for me to give up the cash, but right know I'm trying to gain a better understanding of relational database management systems. So I'm working on sql server 2000 obviously I'm also interested in oracale. I would like to ask you are there any good oracle books for beginners. I've always heard that the books oracle press puts out are complicated. Also when I download oracle9i do I need anything to go with it. I heard that you had to use a product called toad because oracle does not have a front end gui like sql server 2000. If this is true what all front ends can I use to work in the oracle environment.

playing with the products is completely free. if you are looking for beginner books, personally i would just start out with the manuals. they have gotten much better over the years and you are really hard pressed to find a book out there that doesn't just restate what the manuals say, especially at the beginner level.

also,
    i would not begin with 9i, go ahead and download the latest and greates 10g. since you are just starting out and learning there is no benifit to download the old version. at least cut your teeth on 10g and in the future want to work with oracle you won't be playing catch up from an old version.

jkoopmann thanks for the reply but I'm still wondering about working in the oracle environment. As I stated before, I've heard that it does not have a front end and that one had to use toad. I don't have toad so if this us true how can I put a front end on it. Also can the personnel edition be ran on a windows 2003 server box. I really do not want to run it on a workstation. Right now I have sql server enterpise installed a windows 2003 server box and I have the client tools on my workstation. Can a similiar setup be done with oracle. I'm download from this link http://otn.oracle.com/software/produ...s/winsoft.html I selected the complete package download. Is this everything I need also how do I find the manuals.
    Last edited by alpha88; 03-29-2004 at 03:28 PM.