Thread: yes/no check boxes on a query

yes/no check boxes on a query

hi ya'll,
    my table fields are yes/no check boxes and i have a query for this table to calculate how many 'yes' are checked and how many are not.
    this is what i did:
    on the total row on the design grid of the query i put : COUNT
    on the criteria : Yes
    the results comes out like this: all the fields have number 1 on them whether they were checked or not!!!
    any help please?

Are you using Access or SQL Server? It is more intuitive write SQL Code

select count(*)
    from yourtable
    where columnval='Y'

i will be using either servers and this is how my SQL code looks:

SELECT Referrals.[Referral Date], Customer.[Customer Name], Count(Referrals.[Defaulted Student Loan]) AS [CountOfDefaulted Student Loan], Count(Referrals.[Legal Service in State]) AS [CountOfLegal Service in State], Count(Referrals.[Legal Service Out of State]) AS [CountOfLegal Service Out of State], Count(Referrals.[Mortgage/LPP Service]) AS [CountOfMortgage/LPP Service], Count(Referrals.[Real Estate Services]) AS [CountOfReal Estate Services], Count(Referrals.[Seniors/Disable Judgment Proof]) AS [CountOfSeniors/Disable Judgment Proof], Count(Referrals.[Vehicle Purchase]) AS [CountOfVehicle Purchase], Customer.[Referred By]
    FROM Customer INNER JOIN Referrals ON Customer.[Customer ID] = Referrals.[Customer ID]
    WHERE (((Referrals.[Referral Date]) Between [Beginning Date] And [Ending Date]))
    GROUP BY Referrals.[Referral Date], Customer.[Customer Name], Customer.[Referred By]
    HAVING (((Count(Referrals.[Defaulted Student Loan]))=Yes) AND ((Count(Referrals.[Legal Service in State]))=Yes) AND ((Count(Referrals.[Legal Service Out of State]))=Yes) AND ((Count(Referrals.[Mortgage/LPP Service]))=Yes) AND ((Count(Referrals.[Real Estate Services]))=Yes) AND ((Count(Referrals.[Seniors/Disable Judgment Proof]))=Yes) AND ((Count(Referrals.[Vehicle Purchase]))=Yes));

For SQL Server, try this

SELECT Referrals.[Referral Date], Customer.[Customer Name],
    sum (case (Referrals.[Defaulted Student Loan]) when 'Yes' Then 1 else 0 end) AS [CountOfDefaulted Student Loan],
    sum (case (Referrals.[Legal Service in State]) when 'Yes' Then 1 else 0 end) AS [CountOfLegal Service in State],
    sum (case (Referrals.[Legal Service Out of State]) when 'Yes' Then 1 else 0 end) AS [CountOfLegal Service Out of State],
    sum (case (Referrals.[Mortgage/LPP Service]) when 'Yes' Then 1 else 0 end) AS [CountOfMortgage/LPP Service],
    sum (case (Referrals.[Real Estate Services]) when 'Yes' Then 1 else 0 end) AS [CountOfReal Estate Services],
    sum (case (Referrals.[Seniors/Disable Judgment Proof]) when 'Yes' Then 1 else 0 end) AS [CountOfSeniors/Disable Judgment Proof],
    sum (case (Referrals.[Vehicle Purchase]) when 'Yes' Then 1 else 0 end) AS [CountOfVehicle Purchase], Customer.[Referred By]
    FROM Customer INNER JOIN Referrals ON Customer.[Customer ID] = Referrals.[Customer ID]
    WHERE (((Referrals.[Referral Date]) Between [Beginning Date] And [Ending Date]))
    GROUP BY Referrals.[Referral Date], Customer.[Customer Name], Customer.[Referred By]

Thank you so much!!!

Wow, you looked at it after 7 months

Oracle9i

hi guys,
    first of all i would like to thank SKHANAL and all other members of this forum for helping me.

here is the question in my assignment:
    List the most expensive book purchased by customer 1017?
    i have these tables: books, customers, orders, orderitems.
    my answer was:
    SELECT MAX(retail) " Most Expensive Book"
    FROM orders NATURAL JOIN orderitems NATURAL JOIN books
    where customer#=1017
    ;
    I get the right answer but i can't get both the book title and its price at the same time on the output. i only get this :

Most Expensive Book
    --------------------

So, is there any other way to write the SQL code and get something like this:
    Title
    ------------------------
    Handcranked Computeres

Most Expensive Book
    -------------------