Thread: Database Collection

Question Database Collection

I recently migrated a database from server A to server B. The backup jobs I am trying to build on server B are failing because of the following error:
    --------------
    [Microsoft SQL-DMO] Error 21776: [SQL-DMO]The name 'WinDat' was not found in the Databases collection. If the name is a qualified name, use [] to separate various parts of the name, and try again.
    -------------

How do I add this database to the databases collection so it will be recognized?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Are you using database maintenance plan?.

Can you backup the database from query analyzer using BACKUP command?

If not see if the database is completely recovered.

No, I am not using a Maintenance Plan. I am simply creating a new job to run a backup of the database. As of right now, nothing I try will backup the database. I keep getting the error posted in my original message.

I have had a similar error when moving databases before, but those errors have always been involving the database DBO, not the database not residing in the database collection. This time, the DBO is there, but somehow, the database is not listed in the database collection.

The database did migrate in it's entirety from server A to server B.

Thanks for the questions!

Originally posted by skhanal
    Are you using database maintenance plan?.

Can you backup the database from query analyzer using BACKUP command?

If not see if the database is completely recovered.

Run sp_helpdb to see if the db is in the list, and ensure it is online.

Do you mean you don't see the database in enterprise manager?

If you can see it, make sure that the database is owned by sa.

do you see the databases in sysdatabases table?

Hello again. Still no resolution to this.

I ran sp_helpdb. All of the databases show up and are online. The databases appear in Enterprise manage and are owned by sa. The error I am getting specifically says that the databases are "not found in the Databases Collection". I can't find any information on this "Databases Collection". I can find alot of info about a "Users Collection", but this does not pertain to databases, only users of the databases. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for all of your quesitons and ideas thus far. I really do appreciate the help!

How did you create backup job for the db? Where did you get the error?

I am suspecting that SQL DMO dlls may be corrupt. Try re-installing SQL client in your machine (assuming the problem is in your machine only). If it is not working in the server, you can reinstall client in the server too.

You didn't answer my question about running

BACKUP DATABASE ..

from query analyzer. Can you do this?

Hello,

Could you find a solution to this problem?? I am facing the same error but the scenario is bit different. I restored databases. The sql server uses replication. While creating a new subscription, I got an Error 14040 - the server is already a subscriber. From a post, I got to know that my distribution database might be corrupted. So I deleted the record for distribution db from msdb..msdistributiondbs. But then while trying to configure publisher and subscriber again, I get the aforesaid error - [Microsoft SQL-DMO] Error 21776: [SQL-DMO]The name 'WinDat' was not found in the Databases collection. If the name is a qualified name, use [] to separate various parts of the name, and try again.
    Plz help me resolve this.
    Thanks.

What's WinDat? Post details of your server.