Thread: Expanding a database device on SQL 6.5 SP5a

Mohan Kambli Guest

Expanding a database device on SQL 6.5 SP5a

When running Enterprise Manager from my desktop pc to try and expand a database device I am unable to do so. The size shown is negative, and the max size is the same, with the 'Change Now' box greyed out.
    When I log on directly onto the server I can easily expand the db device. There is lots of free space on the server.
    Our set up is quite small with four NT workstations and two NT servers with SQL Server 6.5 on them. All these six machines are in the same workgroup. The workstations are on a separate floor to the servers, which are in the computer room. I have a feeling this is a networking issue. Can anyone suggest why this is happening?

Ajay Guest

Expanding a database device on SQL 6.5 SP5a (reply)

Mohan the best way to expand the database is to create a new database device and then expand the database, add this device to the database.

It is not a good idea to just increase the database device size.

Good Luck

------------
    Mohan Kambli at 9/3/99 9:23:29 AM

When running Enterprise Manager from my desktop pc to try and expand a database device I am unable to do so. The size shown is negative, and the max size is the same, with the 'Change Now' box greyed out.
    When I log on directly onto the server I can easily expand the db device. There is lots of free space on the server.
    Our set up is quite small with four NT workstations and two NT servers with SQL Server 6.5 on them. All these six machines are in the same workgroup. The workstations are on a separate floor to the servers, which are in the computer room. I have a feeling this is a networking issue. Can anyone suggest why this is happening?

Jagan Rao Guest

You can use "Enterprise Manager" for any operation. EM in SQL 6.5 has somany bugs in reporting the details/values and this is a known issue. You can overcome this in somany ways.

Use "Refresh" from the Edit Menu.
    Close and Open EM

If you want to see exact values of any of your Databases, try sp_spaceused.

Jagan Rao

Craig Guest

I do not agree with Ajay's point, there is no issue with increasing a device in size.

What has happened is that you have applied SP5a to the server but NOT to your client. If you apply it to your client, the negative will be corrected and you can increase the device.......Craig

------------
    Jagan Rao at 9/3/99 12:29:14 PM

You can use "Enterprise Manager" for any operation. EM in SQL 6.5 has somany bugs in reporting the details/values and this is a known issue. You can overcome this in somany ways.

Use "Refresh" from the Edit Menu.
    Close and Open EM

If you want to see exact values of any of your Databases, try sp_spaceused.

Jagan Rao