Thread: SQL Startup Fails on Reboot

Angry SQL Startup Fails on Reboot

Whenever we reboot our data server SQL Server fails to restart ginving a message about login failure. When we go into the service properties and retype the password for the "logon as" account, it starts up fine! No one ever changes the account or it's password and yet we seem to need to retype it every time the machine is rebooted. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

1. Ask your network admin to see whether any login script runs on that server which disables or resets the password

2. See whether there is a autologin enabled (in registry some network admin harcode the password in order to login automatically)

3. See the startup and autoexec.bat file on that server for if any script runs during startup which resets the password.

BTW what sp are you using.

Also if anybody else have "SA" access to that sql server box, they might reset the password from Enterprise manager to use different account. Which will take effect only when you restart the services.

Sadly i am Network Admin, DBA and Developer for our small business and don't know of any of these situations being true. We only use Windows Authentication and are on SP3. BTW When i retype the password i get the message 'This logon has been granted Log on as Service access' which suggests to me it didn't have it already, but according to Active Directory, it does have this access.

Change the password for service account using SQL Enterprise Manager. This is the recommended method.

When you change it from Conrol Panel - Services the account may not get all the necessary rights on registry keys and folders. Changing it through enterprise manager takes care of all this.