Thread: changing publisher-subscriber roles on SQL Server 6.5

pranav Guest

changing publisher-subscriber roles on SQL Server 6.5

Hi Nerds
    There are 2 production servers (SQL Server 6.5). One is publisher and the other one is subscriber. Data is replicated from publisher to subscriber which is a transaction based replication. Each day at 8:00PM data comes into publisher and the updations,replication,backup,reporting are carried out till 11:00AM next day. The subscriber server is used as a reporting server and the publishing server is used as the data warehouse server.
    I want to cleanup a table on the publisher. Since it is replicated on the subscriber, can I do delete operation on the subscriber, make the subscriber server a publisher and the publisher server a subscriber, do replication from publisher(new) to subscriber(new) and again change publisher to subscriber and subscriber to publisher without affecting the production line of the databases. I have to do this between 11:00AM to 8:00PM.
    Pranav.

Ray Miao Guest

changing publisher-subscriber roles on SQL Server 6.5 (reply)

Then you have to reconfigure your replication.

------------
    pranav at 9/14/99 11:18:47 AM

Hi Nerds
    There are 2 production servers (SQL Server 6.5). One is publisher and the other one is subscriber. Data is replicated from publisher to subscriber which is a transaction based replication. Each day at 8:00PM data comes into publisher and the updations,replication,backup,reporting are carried out till 11:00AM next day. The subscriber server is used as a reporting server and the publishing server is used as the data warehouse server.
    I want to cleanup a table on the publisher. Since it is replicated on the subscriber, can I do delete operation on the subscriber, make the subscriber server a publisher and the publisher server a subscriber, do replication from publisher(new) to subscriber(new) and again change publisher to subscriber and subscriber to publisher without affecting the production line of the databases. I have to do this between 11:00AM to 8:00PM.
    Pranav.