Thread: 10008 Error

Steve Jimmo Guest

10008 Error

I received a 10008 Error (Bad token from SQL Server: Datastream processing out of synchronization.) during routine maintenance (DBCC CHECKDB) on a database last night. The database happened to be msdb.

I was unable to take the database out of Single User Mode without getting more 10008 errors. Ultimately, I ended up dropping the msdb database and while running the INSTMSDB.SQL script, received the error again, right after the databsae was created.

I am unable to find very much useful information on this particular problem. Has anyone experienced something similiar, or able to shed more light on this?

TIA

Steve Jimmo

Craig Guest

10008 Error (reply)

Never got it myself but it appears there are 2 possible causes:

PSS ID Number: Q73215
    Article last modified on 03-11-1999

4.2 | 4.2 | 4.2

MS-DOS OS/2 WINDOWS

================================================== ====================
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

- Microsoft SQL Server Programmer's Toolkit, version 4.2
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
    ========

When you run a DB-Library (DB-Lib) application, the following error message is
    received:

Error 10008, Bad token from SQL Server: Datastream processing out of sync.

CAUSE
    =====

A DB-Lib application communicates with a SQL Server across the network using a
    tabular data stream (TDS). This TDS is transmitted across a named pipe, which is
    provided and maintained by the network operating system. Each DB-Lib application
    automatically parses this TDS to extract useful information (for example, query
    result rows).

When DB-Lib cannot interpret the TDS, it generates a 10008 error:

Bad token from SQL Server: Datastream processing out of sync.

There are two potential causes for this error:

1. The first possible cause is that the data coming across the network named
    pipe has been corrupt. This is always caused by some kind of network problem
    involving either network hardware or software.

2. The second possible cause is that the network has sent a message across the
    named pipe. For example, in LAN Manager version 2.0 if the numreqbuf value in
    the [server] section of LANMAN.INI is too low, the number of named pipes that
    can be open at one time will be limited. When this occurs, LAN Manager sends
    an error across the named pipe; dblib does not understand the error and
    generates a 10008 error.

WORKAROUND
    ==========

Check for possible network problems, or run network diagnostics. Remember that
    the problem can involve any of the networking hardware or software, on the
    server and/or on the client.

For more information on the second problem and how to increase the numreqbuf
    value, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

(configuring) and (LAN Manager) and (Peer Service) and (SQL Server)

When you write a DB-Lib application, the 10008 error can be gracefully handled by
    having the error handler of the DB-Lib application trap the 10008 error. After
    receiving it, you can close the DBPROCESS connection, open a new one, then
    resend the query.

Additional query words: Windows NT

================================================== ====================
    Keywords : kbnetwork SSrvLAN SSrvWinNT
    Version : 4.2 | 4.2 | 4.2
    Platform : MS-DOS OS/2 WINDOWS
    ================================================== ===========================
    Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1999.

------------
    Steve Jimmo at 9/14/99 10:39:10 AM

I received a 10008 Error (Bad token from SQL Server: Datastream processing out of synchronization.) during routine maintenance (DBCC CHECKDB) on a database last night. The database happened to be msdb.

I was unable to take the database out of Single User Mode without getting more 10008 errors. Ultimately, I ended up dropping the msdb database and while running the INSTMSDB.SQL script, received the error again, right after the databsae was created.

I am unable to find very much useful information on this particular problem. Has anyone experienced something similiar, or able to shed more light on this?

TIA

Steve Jimmo