Thread: INSERT from MSAccess to MsSQL

Lightbulb INSERT from MSAccess to MsSQL

I've a problem when I use an INSERT query in Access to put some data on MSSQL through a linked table
    (simple: "INSERT INTO remote_table ( column1,column2) SELECT col1,col2 FROM local_table"). I found that the records are added one-by-one so my trigger on remote_table executes many times with table one record in [inserted] table. My question is there any way to make Access move all record at once...

Ignas

The purpose of Insert trigger in sql server is to execute an action for every insert you make.

You can do a BULK insert in SQL Server in order to make transactions as a Non-Logged operation.

Thanks, but the problem is that MS Access produces "INSERT INTO ... SELECT FROM ..." operation for every record. For example when I run MS Access query looking like this:
    INSERT INTO remote_table ( c1,c2)
    SELECT <b>TOP 5</b> cl1,cl2 FROM local_table

on the SQL side the trigger is run 5 times (for every row), not one time for 5 rows.
    And becouse I load a quite big portion of data (200 000 records) executing trigger so many times is a waste of time.
    How to avoid that ? Thanks in advance.

PI

ASk your SQL server DBA to disable the trigger on that particular table for a while when you are connecting. (Do this during Off Hours)

We have some lack of understanding .
    I want the trigger to be run, but not for each record, but for whole selection. When I do an INSERT INTO SELECT FROM query in Access, there are generated INSERT's for every record. So my trigger is executed many times and table inserted contains one record. I want the trigger to be fired once with inserted table filled with all records from INSERT query. Thanks for your patience .

It depends on what you have in the trigger. Say for example the trigger on that table just inserts a row in a logtable.

1. your dba can disable the trigger or you can run your ms-access process and execute insert statement like the trigger to a logtable. then enable the trigger.

or

2. your dba can write a procedure which will disable and enable trigger on that table.

before you run your ms-access bulk insert process execute the disable procedure and do the insert and execute the enable procedure.
    then insert a row into your log table.