Thread: ! Out of memory

! Out of memory

I have an .mdb file that on occasion pops up an error titled "Microsoft Visual Basic" "Out of memory," when I attempt to access the forms module in the forms design view. By restarting the computer the problem seems to go away.

Does this sound familiar? What could possibly cause this error? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated it certinly is an annoying occurance.

Don't know if this helps, but try decompiling it:

make a copy of your .mdb file.

create a shortcut of the MS Access Excecutable.

In the properties for the short cut, set the target, using the quotes, to:

"full path of MS Access" <space> "full path of your mdb file" <space> /decompile

save the shortcut.

Hold the shift key down, then open the shortcut.

Hold the shift key down, compact your database.

Hold the shift key down, open your database (directly, not via the shortcut).

Go to your vb module. Select Debug, Compile.

Close your database.

Without holding down the shift key, open up your .mdb file as you would normally.

See if that helps.
    --X

Very interesting, I was unaware of such a procedure. I followed the procedure and decreased the size of my file by 2 Megs. At this point I can't say if that solved the problem since it was an intermitent one, but it does appear to be a more efficient way to compile the file. Thanks for the sugestion.

Out of memory! Returns

Just for the record, decompiling the file did not resolve my problem although it does significantly reduce the re-compiled file size. I am still getting a visual basic information popup (Out of memory!) in the design mode of a report when accessing the reports class module. If I reset the computer the problem goes away.

Something else which helps

Watch the size of your Access MDB file it is typically limited to 1 gig on old Access 97 files and 2 gig as I recall on newer MDB files.

You can keep the size down by using linked tables to SQL or other MDB files instead of storing all of the data in the one MDB file too.

Make certain your computer has lots of free disk space for virtual memory as well and if the rebooting of the computer always fixes it you might be dealing with other factors such as what is running when you reboot. Do check your task manager and look through your processes to see what is running when you get the errors. After reboot and when you are not having problems check it again and see what is and is not running then as well. If it is a task running causing the problem you will figure it out soon enough.

If it is a memory leak, you should review the project to make certain you are closing all open objects a loop which sets a value to some open object but doesnt come back and set it to nothing to deconstruct it afterward will eat up memory as well as third party custom controls inserted on forms can cause this as well.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion

The file size is not an issue at 8 megs. But I suspect that you are correct with the virtual memory, I am running SQL Server in the background as a standalone server. The next time the error occurs I will check to see what programs are active.

Thanks once again