Thread: MS SQL 2000 moving .ldf

MS SQL 2000 moving .ldf

Hello,

It's my first time working on a production network with SQL and I have a couple issues.

I built a server with a SCSI Raid-5 disk array (E: ) and have Raid 1 on the system Drive (C: ).

The intention was to make it so that the transaction logs would be on the C: drive and the Data on the E: for performance so during installation I specified E: for the data.

Afterwards I prepared to move the transaction logs back to the C:. The database that I created worked just fine by detaching the db, copy the ldf to it's new location and reattaching it.

I know that I cannot detach the master.Should I be that concerned with moving the transaction logs for master, pubs, model, tempdb? If not should I put them back on the system drive?

I've played around with this on my test server and bad things have happned. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

master, MSDB, pubs(not needed),northwind(not needed) , model it does'nt matter. All are small database . you can keep it anywhere.

tempdb should not be in Raid 5 unless you dont have any other drives.

Log files should be in a drive where you have more room to grow.

refer this below link.

http://www.sql-server-performance.co...nce_audit3.asp

Thanks!

I prefer to keep OS on a separate drive,
    Application and system database on a separate drive and DATA and log on different drives.