Thread: LONG, CLOB & cie

LONG, CLOB & cie

I have a big problem to resolve.

First i'd got a table like that :
    number id
    number pageid
    varchar2(32) type
    long properties

I wanted to add a record that contained a very long property (an image). The problem was that i couldn't add more than 4000 octets because of LONG field
    (see http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1)

So I tried to execute several queries using CONCAT function to store my bitmap. But LONG field doesn't support concatenation.

Finally I decided to change my LONG to a CLOB. I tried an ALTER TABLE command but it didn't work.
    I thought I had to use tempory table to do it so I did something like this :

CREATE TABLE tmp ([....],properties CLOB NOT NULL)
    INSERT INTO tmp SELECT * FROM objet
    DROP TABLE objet
    CREATE TABLE objet ([....],properties CLOB NOT NULL)
    INSERT INTO objet SELECT * FROM tmp

It worked.
    I started my application (using .NET Microsoft.Data.ODBC) but I wasn't able to get any row.
    I tried to use the TO_LOB function in my previous script. It worked too but had no result too.

I verified the problem the 'Oracle ODBC test' but I perfectly saw my record using SqlPlus.

Do you have any simple solution to store an image in my database using ODBC and without loosing my data in the 'objet' table ?

Thank you for your help !

Blob Problem.

I have the same problem, If u solve yours, can u explain the way to me?
    Also I have another problem, - how can i insert into BLOB(CLOB) field a file from filesystem? I've read many docs about Oracle 9i, but i didn't find yet the solvation of my problem...