Thread: Tried to uninstall Replication

Greg Montoya Guest

Tried to uninstall Replication

I had replication installed between my two SQL servers with no problems until I changed the Primary Key attribute on one of the replicating tables. After that one change, I continued to receive errors for one week about failed replication (due to this one table!). I tried removing Replication so that I could "reinstall" it, but my Publicating server will not show the option to 'Install Publishing..' in the Server Tool. I followed the advice found on "SWYNK.com/ch17.asp" as it stated:

"Uninstalling Replication Completely
    Carefully consider all options before you opt to remove replication entirely from the system. This operation shuts down all replication to all subscribing servers, and it does so in a somewhat brute force manner by removing the replication option from the server and deleting the distribution database.

There are three steps for uninstalling replication in SQL Server, as follows:

1)Discontinue all replication services, all publication and subscription services, between this system and other servers with which it is working.
    2)Turn off the replication option at the server engine level.
    3)Drop the distribution database. "

I still cannot get the option to Install Publishing again. In fact, I continue to get the option to "Uninstall Publishing.." in the Server tool. I stopped/started services dozens of times with no luck. Any help would be great !!!!

Greg Guest

Tried to uninstall Replication (reply)

------------
    Greg Montoya at 9/14/99 6:12:43 PM

I had replication installed between my two SQL servers with no problems until I changed the Primary Key attribute on one of the replicating tables. After that one change, I continued to receive errors for one week about failed replication (due to this one table!). I tried removing Replication so that I could "reinstall" it, but my Publicating server will not show the option to 'Install Publishing..' in the Server Tool. I followed the advice found on "SWYNK.com/ch17.asp" as it stated:

Carefully consider all options before you opt to remove replication entirely from the system. This operation shuts down all replication to all subscribing servers, and it does so in a somewhat brute force manner by removing the replication option from the server and deleting the distribution database.

1)Discontinue all replication services, all publication and subscription services, between this system and other servers with which it is working.

I still cannot get the option to Install Publishing again. In fact, I continue to get the option to "Uninstall Publishing.." in the Server tool. I stopped/started services dozens of times with no luck. Any help would be great !!!!

Greg Montoya Guest

Tried to uninstall Replication (reply)

I was able to follow the Microsoft Article Q170481 to remove the replication, then readd it. Thanks anyway

------------
    Greg Montoya at 9/14/99 6:12:43 PM