Thread: DTS help...

DTS help...

I am new to DTS.
    Currently, use osql to run application sql object service patch server by server (then inside looping all the customer databases). One patch could include 5 stored procedure (with many 'go' in the whole patch), 2 triggers and 4 table column size or type changes...

It is ok when there are 10 to 20 servers with 20 to 40 databases per server(same structure).

Now, facing around 50 servers, DTS is probably the way to go. Is there some DTS exsample of passing server names and run the same service patch from my workstation. In a word, with only one physical servicePatch.sql file in my pc and implment it through 50 servers with around 1000 databases?

thanks
    -D

You can use Dynamic properties to pass servername and databasename to a DTS package. Use the attached DTS package as sample.

remember!
    1. Global variables are case sensitive.
    2. You should have access to all the 50 boxes
    3. Save the package as structured storage file in c:\

Usage:-

dtsrun /Fc:\RunScript.dts /E /A"ServerName"="XYZ123" /A"DatabaseName"="PUBS"
    Attached Files Attached Files

Then, either you can create a batch file to pass all the parameters or use a table and vbscript to execute this package for all the servers and databases