Thread: insertion of large amount of data

insertion of large amount of data

hi,
    currently, i'm doing a site using asp.net(c#) with M$ access(2002)... the server will have to accept a large text file of at least 600KB... this seems to create a problem for the Access... before i knew, the connection just time out and nothing gets updated... it seems like access is the problematic one, yet converting to sql is not an available option for me..

what is a prefered way of updating such a huge text file to access?

Use database to store only mapping not the entire file. File handling is more efficient in file server and not in database.

hi, thankz for replying and i apologize for not making myself clear enough. what i am actually doing is opening the text file and insert the record one by one... but that text file alone contain 4800 over records... i tried reducing it to just 10 records and i works fine, that is why i believe Access is the one that is misbehaving.....

insertion of large amount of data

I have tried inserting beyond 60,000 rows into access and it works fine.

So, I am thinking may be you can open the text file in excel and save it as .csv file format. This should give you some flexibility in uploading upto ~~65000 rows into access at once.

are you refering to the "bulk insert" thing?
    i came across it after hours of searching on the net, but i am not sure how it works. from what i know, it is suppose to pass in the file path of a text file to the database, and it just update the whole file at once, using the separator you have chosen. if thats the way it works, i would like to know if access 2002 support this?
    thankz