Thread: ForwardLogBlockReadAheadAsync: Operating system error 997 - what the .... ?

Exclamation ForwardLogBlockReadAheadAsync: Operating system error 997 - what the .... ?

Hi, who have ever met the following errors, share an information of what could cause it??? I can't find any info that could help me find the reason. My DB went to SUSPECT mode and in the log file I got:

ForwardLogBlockReadAheadAsync: Operating system error 997(Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.) encountered.

Operating system error 997(Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.) on device 'd:\MSSQL\data\iservice_Log2.ldf' during ForwardLogBlockReadAheadAsync.

Error: 3414, Severity: 21, State: 1

Error: 9001, Severity: 21, State: 1

Unexpected error while commiting a ShrinkFile operation
    /*************************/

What is weird the 997 error occured twice during last night and the DB went into suspect mode only after the sencond one.

The database restored but it's a second time for the last month just getting a bit annoying.

Thanks for any help
    Dim

What else did you try to do while shrink file?

Hi, there wasn't an explicit shrink operation. About a month ago I enabled an "Auto Shrink" option on the database. Besides during the transaction log BUP I got an error few days ago:

BackupIoRequest::WaitForIoCompletion: write failure on backup device 'd:\MSSQL\data\iservice_Log2.ldf'. Operating system error 23(Data error (cyclic redundancy check).)

I started to receive this error since about a few moths ago by now, once a week maybe. In this case I just chanched the DB recovery mode from FULL to Simple, then truncate the Log File and Full BUPed the DB.

At the same time there are 5 other dbs on the same Server and no problems with them.

Dim

Did you find any disk related problem in windows event log? Seems you have disk issue on the server. By the way, do you name backup device as 'd:\MSSQL\data\iservice_Log2.ldf'?

You are right, we narowed down our search for the cause of the problem and found a bunch of errors started at about the same time the db went into Suspect mode. The errors are: "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block."

So I would blame our HD and consider a replacement.

Thank you
    Dim

btw, I didn't create any of the BUp devices, I do the full bup to a Tape and trn log bup to a HD to a default location. So the BUP files get created as ususaly with the name that looks like "iservice_tlog_200309082200.TRN"

It looks like your backup job and auto shrink job are stepping into each other. Remove auto shrink or schedule shrink after backup is completed.