Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Probs in connection

Probs in connection

This is the first time we are working with named instances on sql 2k. Every time you create a new instance, do you need to manually go in & specify the port number as 1433 on the client side?
    Our clients are not able to connect to this server. They get a server does not exist or access denied message. However if In the "Client Configuration" set up under "Connection Parameters", we CLEAR the "dynamically determine port" check box in order to set the port manually and type "1433" in the port number box, it seems to work & the clients can connect.
    Is this an issue with instances or are we doing something wrong?

Thanks!

you are doing something wrong.

what is the default and named instance names?

Client should connect to default instance like SERVER1 and
    to the named instance server1\instance1

They are connecting as server1\instance1.

Adding to the confusion, some people are able to connect without making this change while others are not!

I guess I know why. because they do not have the latest MDAC on their machines.

Install MDAC 2.7 on their machines or sql server 2000 client on their machines

They all have SQL 2000 client on their machines....!

oh & I dont know about MDAC - what is it for?

Thanks!

when you install sql client it updates the MDAC.

Did you try removing the server\instance name from the client network utility?

MDAC is Microsoft data access components, including ole db provider and odbc. By the way, named instance uses dynamic port number by default.

Originally posted by MAK
    when you install sql client it updates the MDAC.

Did you try removing the server\instance name from the client network utility?
    U mean remove the alias created for that instance in client metwork utility? no i havent tried that.

ok, i removed the alias & she could'nt connect again.

Look at sql server log to find out which port number is used for server1\instance1, then create proper alias on client pc.

Originally posted by rmiao
    MDAC is Microsoft data access components, including ole db provider and odbc. By the way, named instance uses dynamic port number by default.
    Looks like for us we need to be changing that on every client. Uncheck the dynamic port box & hardcode the 1433 port in it!

Originally posted by rmiao
    Look at sql server log to find out which port number is used for server1\instance1, then create proper alias on client pc.
    I checked again & the port number is 1433. But somehow the client is not able to pick it up dynamically – we have to hardcode it in the tcp/ip properties (

It'll not pick 1433 as dynamic port number since dynamic port number is any number other than 1433 nor 1434. If you have multiple instances on the server, only one of them can be listening on port 1433, usually default instance.

I have another sql 2000 server with a port 1433 & I added an alias with dynamic port number & I got register the server fine. So dynamic port does include 1433 also I guess… ??