Thread: Using scptxfr in a SQL job

Using scptxfr in a SQL job

I need to generate a script of my entire database, and place the resulting file on a network drive. And I need to run it as a job. I found an old post on this forum that had information on scptxfr.exe. I am a beginner, so I was glad to have found something so simple. But I have a small problem...

I created a SQL Server Agent job with a step that calls the scptxfr executable. But, the job fails because it doesn't recognize the network drive ("The system cannot find the path specified"). It works fine when I run the job and store the resulting script on my c drive. And, when I run scptxfr from the DOS prompt, it works fine when I use the network drive (using the same exact command line that I use in the sql job). It just doesn't work when I run it through a sql job. I've also tried using the full name (\\servername\share) - it didn't work.

Any ideas?

does your sql agent account have enough permission to access the network drive

Also make sure the sql server agent is running under a domain user account not local system account.

That's it - thanks for your quick replies.

Can you tell that I am a beginner?