Thread: DTS into Text file error

DTS into Text file error

Hi there,

I getting really frustrated here when trying to export a table with many columns into a text file. This does not happen when the table is relatively small.
    I am using client tools on my machine connecting into SQL Server 2000 (sp3) that resides on a different box.
    I have installed the client tools on my machine from scratch; no SQL server components were on it before. The version in the Add/Remove Program for SQL Server 2000 showed 8.00.194.
    Then I have upgraded my machine (Not the server) client tools into sp3a (sp3a). The version in the Add/Remove Program for SQL Server 2000 shows 8.00.761.

Now, the problem is when I try to create a package that export data into a text file and the source is a table or a view with many columns, even only 18 columns. Trying to define the column structure in the destination file using "Define columns" button on the Destination tab, I get error message
    "The instruction at "0x780014b1" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". and Enterprise Manager fails. This did not happened when I had version 194 before. only after installing sp3a. when I try to open a package that has been created in 194 version I can see the column definition of the destination, but again, it fails when I try to change it by "Populate from source" and "Execute".
    Also, I can't change the column size on the "Define columns" window (for fixed length destination), but I could do it on 194 version.

So:
    1. How come the newer version is worse than the previous one ? I know that Microsoft has solved some problems relating to this issues (some MDAC changes and more).
    2.What can I do to solve this problem. Do I have to have other version ?

Any help will be appreciated.
    [B]

1. See whether you have opened the same DTS package twice. If so close all the windows and open the package once. This happened to me once in a while.

2. Install SP3a on the client machine again.

3. Make sure both server and client have same service packs.