Thread: D2k

D2k

hi everyone!
    i created a Form using Developer 2k & table from Oracle 8i

some of the columns has attached LOV so user can select value from LOV

i have given 2 save button, one in the Form & other in Menu Option Bar

but problem is that after feeding values (some value selected from LOV) when I click the Form's SAVE button it's Alerting Message "Field Value cannot be null" & cursor Jumps to First LOV attached Column & can not be saved the row but when i click SAVE button from Option Menu Bar then it's running fine but user wants SAVE button on the Form. what is the solution
    plz guide

R

I cannot make out the reason for the bug from the information you've given. I may be able to help if u can send the form to me (kshamajain@hotmail.com).
    Which version of forms are u using?
    --Kshama

I cannot make out the reason for the bug from the information you've given. I may be able to help if u can send the form to me (kshamajain@hotmail.com).
    --Kshama

hi Kshama,
    thanks for your response,
    actually this form is running in Arabic Format & don't think that you have Oracle with Arabic Support so it'll not display/run in ur computer & this Form is using 25 tables & it has 40 column, even though if u need i'll send u
    bye
    rahman

Send it if I can open it in Developer.

hi Kshama,
    i sent u MPI.FMB file as u asked
    plz find a solution if u can
    thanx & regards
    R

Please send the code of
    1- Fail_If_Null procedure
    2- Menu Save item

Originally posted by kshamajain
    Please send the code of
    1- Fail_If_Null procedure
    2- Menu Save item
    Hi Kshama,
    here is the code:-
    1]PROCEDURE Fail_If_Null(Item_Name Char) IS
    BtnNo Number;
    BEGIN
    IF Item_Name IS NULL THEN
    BtnNo := Show_Alert('AL_NULL');
    RAISE Form_Trigger_Failure;
    END IF;
    END;

2]do_key('commit_form');

Dear Rahman,

I have made 1 observation (since I cannot run the form you have to see if its the 'bug')

For the 'VIP' radio button, you have given the following code in 'Key-next-item' trigger:

begin
    Go_Item('MPI.AplCatCd');
    end;

When the User uses the 'save' button on the form he might be using the 'tab key'(which he does not use when he saves from the menu) when he is at 'VIP' item. This selects the text in 'MPI.AplCatCd'. At this point if the user presses 'enter key', the field becomes null. Hence the error!

I hope this solves your problem.
    With best wishes,
    Kshama

Dear Rahman,

I have made 1 observation (since I cannot run the form you have to see if its the 'bug')

For the 'VIP' radio button, you have given the following code in 'Key-next-item' trigger:

begin
    Go_Item('MPI.AplCatCd');
    end;

When the User uses the 'save' button on the form he might be using the 'tab key'(which he does not use when he saves from the menu) when he is at 'VIP' item. This selects the text in 'MPI.AplCatCd'. At this point if the user presses 'enter key', the field becomes null. Hence the error!

I hope this solves your problem.
    With best wishes,
    Kshama
    Sorry friend,
    i checked carefully but when i face same problem using 'SAVE' button located at the bottom of the Form & didn't find any solution then i wrote the above code to jump the cursor at the beginning of the form so that user can forcefully use the 'SAVE' button from the Menu Bar instead of 'save' button located at bottom of the form....
    Now user'll not scroll down to press 'Save' at bottom.
    "but this is required".
    i think u didn't find solution.........
    u wrote "user presses 'enter key', the field becomes null. " but its not NULL bcoz the default value is 'No' for the VIP column.

rahman

No I did'nt mean the VIP field becomes null. I meant - 'AplCatCd' becomes null.
    If that is not the case, please confirm if the LOV is actually returning the value into 'AplCatCd'.
    Regards,
    Kshama

No I did'nt mean the VIP field becomes null. I meant - 'AplCatCd' becomes null.
    If that is not the case, please confirm if the LOV is actually returning the value into 'AplCatCd'.
    Regards,
    Kshama
    after feeding value in all the columns if one jumpes the cursor from last field to first field ('AplCatCd') will it become null? no, Value will already be there just it sets the focus & user can see values in all the columns either values are entired manually or selected from LOV.....

yea, certainly LOV is returning the value.
    n surprise thing is that "ERROR" only on some of the columns(LOV attached starting from Name in Arabic) even values can be seen on the forms.
    thanks
    R

Unhappy

It is surprising that you are not getting my point.
    I repeat:
    If you go to any field(from any field) using the tab field, the text in that field gets selected. If at this point the user presses enter key, the text may get deleted.
    Please try this- once you reach the VIP field, press TAB and then press ENTER. Now see if there is any value in the 'AplCatCd' field.

I have consulted my colleagues also for this problem.
    Thank you.
    Regards,
    Kshama

i understood what u r saying but if u press TAB & then Enter Key then why highlighted selected text will be deleted? any logic?
    ENTERKEY is for confirming current text & for going to Next Text Box(column), it's not MS-Word, I checked it's only jumping to next column without erasing the value of previous column. Apart from this after pressing SAVE(from FORM) button it's never displaying ERROR on 'AplCatCd' column. U R not getting my point, before n after pressing SAVE(from FORM) button values exist in each/every column (feeded by user) never erasing.

now i checked carefully actually afName, asName,atName,afmlyName, fName, sName,tName,fmlyName are name columns, first 4 are in Arabic and rests are in English, if users feed (or select from LOV) in Arabic(e.g. in afName) automatically corresponding English name will be in related column(e.g. in fName) and vice-v......... feeding all after pressing SAVE(from FORM) button displaying Error "value can not be null/empty" in 'fName' column but still value is there.......

....no error when using SAVE from menu Bar....

now find solution if u can

thanks & regard
    R