Thread: Remote SQL database file

Question Remote SQL database file

Hi,

We have 2 Windows server installed . A installed with Windows 2000 server with SQL server 2000 and B is installed with only Windows 2003.

We setup the SQL database on Windows 2003 using a control panel and the database will be setup remotely on the Windows 2000 server.

Is it possible so that the SQL database file to be placed locally on Windows 2003 server instead on the Windows 2000 server which has the SQL 2000 server installed?

Thanks,

Can you explain further, I could not quite get what you are trying to achieve.

How do you setup sql server database using control panel?. As far as I know you can only setup ODBC connections from control panel.

Hi skhanal,

Sure..I will explain further ...

As far as you know from my previous post, we have 2 Windows server installed and one with SQL server while the other is not.

On the Windows 2003 server, we are using HELM control panel to setup domains.We have setup so that when an end user setup a SQL database in the control panel, the database is setup on the Windows 2000 server ( which have the SQL server running ) as we do not have the SQL server installed on our Windows 2003 server.

Ok, now the database is setup in the control panel as well on the Windows 2000 server.When the database is setup, it contains the database file and log file which stored on the SQL server Data directory.

What I am trying to do is to move these files to the Windows 2003 server but remain the database on the Windows 2000 server.

Hope my explanation is clear ...Please let me know if you wish me to explain further...

Thanks,

Sure you can... have Network Database Files

Yes, you can move your database and transaction log files off the server with SQL installed, but it will cause a lot of problems for you.

Check this article out, it answers your question:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304261

regards
    Dim