Thread: FileGroups:

FileGroups:

Hi!

I would like to craete a new database that is going to be about 60 gb. I would like to structure it in filegroups. My question is if I have only 2 drives one of which holds the log file and the other one is a raid 5 does separating data files into file groups help at all if all the files are on the same drive ? Most of the articles I have been reading say that the files need to be placed on different drives for parallel IO...Please advise if I need another raid 5 so that I have 2 drives to store the data files and 1 mirrored for the tran log.

Thanks

If you only have one drive for data file then it does not make much sense to create multiple filegroups for parallel access purpose.

But if you want to backup your database based on file groups then you can create multiple filegroups. You can put high activity tables in its own filegroup and backup separately.

Also, if you really are worried about parallel access and disk performance you should consider RAID 10.

Even if you have on drive if you create file groups for tables and indexes separately it will speed up the process because separate threads will be created to access the tables and indexes. But dont create more than 2 data file in the same disk.

Refer

http://www.sql-server-performance.co...erformance.asp

Thanks.

Thanks.