Thread: Cbt?

Cbt?

Has anyone seen any CBT worth buying for the Oracle 9i DBA exams? I was looking through Oracle U and saw their selection which looked like a good alternative to classroom training, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and could recommend something. Thanks.

According to Oracle's requirement you must attend their training courses to get certification. Sad but true.

i have used the cbt courses and hated them. they took way too long to get through, too many slides, and took way to long to get into the "meat" of the course. oh, way too much money too. if you are going out to just get certified i would put my money on selftest software (www.selftestsoftware.com) and oracle documentation or if you have extra cash for some of the certifcation books (they are better than the cbt).
    also, i think you can get around going to a class if you go the 8i certificatioin route and then the upgrade path from 8i to 9i, that is how i did it and i think it is still available.

Good books?

MAK - Do you have any particular recommendations on books then? I looked at the reviews on Amazon, but I didn't see any as the clear favorite. Seems like a lot of people did not like the Sybex or the Oracle series.

Thanks!

Thanks for pointing out the classroom requirement. From what it says on Oracle's site, you have to attend at least 1 class to get your OCP.

Right now, I am mostly just looking for a good way to train myself to be a competant DBA. I've been developing on Oracle for years, but I need to know more about how to support it. Certification is a perk, but it's secondary right now.

In order to gain practical knowledge I suggest you to be a member of multiple forums on Oracle and solve other people's practical problem as if it is your problem.

I never read any certification books on oracle. I like the following books. It is quite high level when you read it for the first time.

Oracle8 and 9i DBA Handbook: Managing a Robust, High-Performance Oracle Database

try to download oracle software and play with it.

BTW. Why Oracle?